1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Hot Cat 30R head just arrived!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lonetone483, May 18, 2011.

1. lonetone483

lonetone483 Member

Hey everybody and fellow bad cat owners, I just got my new Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R head about an hour ago. I've had GAS for one of these for some time now. I'm new to the the gear page forum and I've done quite a few searches on Bad Cat amps here but I was just wondering if I needed to know anything special, tricks or quirks about the hot cat? I've done some research on them and have read about the reverb and fx loop issues some of these amps have. I am a BIG delay user so this is the only thing that has me a bit worried as the loop system thats on this amp is not something I'm use to. (I'm use to the loops on Mesa amplifiers) The amp is dated 1-27-05 if that will shed any light on aything. It cames tubed up with pure JJ ECC83S's for preamps, JJGZ34 for the rectifier and Winged C EL34' for the power. No propriety footswitch jack on the rear panel but somehing that looks like it located under the chassy next to the rectifier tube. Maybe it was a early 30R model. Either way, I'm really excited to fire this bad boy up and I will take pics as soon as I can. Any feedback would be a great help. Thanx

2. arcguitaro

arcguitaro Member

Congrats on your new amp! I owned a Tone Cat a few years ago and I really miss it.

3. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Not sure about the issues you speak of but mine isn't leaving anytime soon.

Very versatile and unique amp that can cop most any tone!

Your tubes should work well with the amp...

Takes a little while to "learn" the controls....you can easily overdue it. ;)

4. 6AM

6AM Member

The EDGE knob control the fizz in the top end. The TREBLE knob actually sucks bass after the 12:00 position. Other than that, enjoy. Hot Cat 30's are fantastic amps.

5. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

I've got a Bad Cat Lynx, myself. Great amp.

One word of advice, I've found that the high gain Bad Cats are partial to certain speakers more so than others. V30s in particular work well, whereas Greenbacks do not, in my opinion.

What part of Texas are you in?

6. lonetone483

lonetone483 Member

Thanx for the tips guys. I was a bit nervous to purchase the amp as I have never heard this particular model cat before but I decided to just go with it. I've been a Mesa Boogie player for the last 12 years and decided I needed a change. I know I will miss that mesa chug though. Hopefully the hot cat can cover it but in a different and better way. I owned a black cat 2x12 combo for a short time some years back and loved it but wasn't gigging so I had to let it go. I'm gonna be running the hot cat through a mesa 4x12 with vintage 30's but I want to get another 2x12 for versatility. I live in deep south texas in the rio grande valley. i've read these amps get super hot.....which should match the weather down here just right!!!

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

If and when the bottom end gets flubby at high volume, just turn down the bass control....The WGS Veteren 30 speakers work great with Bad Cats...Greenback types do not..Dangeroso said this as well........you need a cleaner speaker...The controls are somewhat interactive....TURN them to find your sound......I miss my Hot Cat

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

After you recover from the initial investment, put some good pre amp tubes
    in V1 and especially V2. Those are your gain and edge sockets.

Try this amp through every cab you can.

Let your ears tell you what speakers you like with it.

Run it with 10's or 12's ceramic and AlNiCo drivers.

Nothing at all wrong running it through an EV, Fane, Celestion Gold.

Try it through a pair of Celestion Blues too.

Have a blast!