Hot Cat 30R !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by flcmcya, Dec 19, 2009.

1. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

I was pretty impressed with the sounds out of this guy but the reviews seem to be less than favororable for reliability .......Any personal
    experience as the Non Reverb seems more popular...... :huh

2. James BCM

James BCM Gold Supporting Member

Way too heavy. 65+ lbs. is too much. AB was cool, but ABY didn't work for me as I felt tone was fighting itself. I sold mine immediately and then got rid of the dealership altogether. I had a 30R combo.

LB
    BCM

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i think they sound great. the earlier ones had a few minor issues, but i think the current ones i think are made well. bad cat stands behind their products as well so i think if you had an issue they would probably make it right

4. newholland

newholland Member

beautifully made, great clean tones.

and then theres that gain channel... oh well, nothing's perfect.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

One of my personal favorite amps!

6. samuelson

samuelson Member

One of the best built amps out there. and the people at Bad Cat stand behind their work and will fix anything. I have three Bad Cats and all of them have wonderful cleans and great gain and ways to dial in different types as well. If you have any problem at all you should contact Bad Cat and they'll be quick to help.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had a Hot Cat 30R for a brief while. Great clean tone but I thought the lead channel started off way too gained out and went up from there, I couldn't deal with it. I also felt the blending of the two channels sucked and required you to alter both channels in order to make this sound good. What this did then was throw off the tones you liked w/o trying to blend them.

The weight was insane as it makes a Matchless seem light, I was glad to be rid of it and have no remorse at all hanging with the Matchless stuff I have now.

8. flcmcya

I have a lil 15 which is cool as hell but runs really hot and they don't really add ventilation to thier design equation. :nuts

9. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

One trick pony ,sounds terrible at lower volume. Master needs to be 7+.

10. onadlos

onadlos Member

I like the Bad Cats. Especially the 30R! Sweet cleans and superb gain channel. The ability to blend the two channels is icing on the cake. Spend some time with one and you learn to dial it in quickly at both low or "fun" volumes.

11. flcmcya

I love "fun" volumes ! :aok

12. Aquinas

Aquinas Supporting Member

I have a love/hate relationship with mine.
    The Clean channel can be GREAT, but is not quite as good as the Black Cat or a HIWATT or Ampeg. Breaks up a bit earlier than I like.
    The 1x12 isn't quite loud enough for some gigs - becomes very directional if cranked. Not an issue if you're mic'd, but not all of us always are.
    The gain channel is tweaky - it can be hard to EQ correctly without a lot of practice. The gain, level, and edge controls are all interactive, and all very important to dialing out a bit of the "fizzy-ness". Sounds full at higher volumes, likes to be turned up.

I didn't like the stock V30 in mine - seemed to accentuate the fizzy, overly upper-midrange quality of the distorted channel, and made the clean channel sound like a V30. I replaced it with an ASW KTS-70, and that seemed to fix the problem - more bell-like on both channels, still handles the high-gain fine.
    It sounded AWESOME plugged in through a Stone Age 4x12 with K100's. No fizziness, thump to knock you over, bell-like cleans.
    Not so great with Lead 80's (THD cab) or Emi Swamp Thangs (Ampeg cab).

Overall, I can give a cautious recommendation of the amp. It's not for everyone - the 2nd channel can't really do GREAT mid-to-low gain, it's just not designed that way, and the cleans are just what they are, no versatility. The Hotcat is sort of a love-it-or-hate-it affair, at least for me, though YMMV.

It should be noted that it DID get me back into channel switchers...
    Just ordered a Freyette/VHT Sig:X and D412, mostly because of the issues I had with the Hot Cat!

13. Leftyman

Leftyman Silver Supporting Member

If you like the 30R but it isn't quite doing it for you, you might want to try a Matchless Independence.

14. onadlos

onadlos Member

I'm running mine through a 4x12 with a quad of different speakers and Loving it!