Hot Cat 30R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bobbtoz, Jul 28, 2005.

1. bobbtoz

bobbtoz Silver Supporting Member

I've got major gas pains for this amp. I'm considering unloading some gear and picking up one of these hot cat 30r heads. I need you guys to feed my GAS.

I'm in the process of unloading a uberschall. Its a great amp, but for some of the more mild rock songs the shiva fits better. But now that I've had the taste of the ubers capabilites I want an amp w/ more gain than the shiva, but able to play the mild rock tunes as good as the shiva. I'd like to keep the uber as well as the shiva, but finacially I can't justify keeping both (that would be the best of both worlds). So I'm thinking of unloadind them both and getting the hot cat 30r.

Heres what I like about the shiva:

Clean channel is the best I've played, except for the orange 50 rockerverb.
    The most musical amp I've ever played.
    I love the darker tone/ I don't like a bright tone.
    At low volumes this amp is perfect. I'm able to express myself and my leads sounds pretty good to me. You can really dig into the strings and the amp responds to your attack extremely well.
    Keep in mind I use a George Lynch Time Machine Boost in front of this amp. I keep the GL TMB on at all times and use the guitar volume knob for my rytym and lead work.
    The shiva sounds huge and the low end is great!

Heres what I don't like:

I can't get this amp to respond to my playing at higher volumes as well as low volumes. This is frustarating the hell out of me. It doesn't seem to have as much saturation at louder levels. It also seems like I have less gain even w/ the GL TMB. I definetily hear the fizz that some people here have mentioned.

Is the Hot Cat 30R a possible cure to my GAS?

Thanks
    Bob T.

2. bobbtoz

No love on this board?:(

3. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i LOVE my hot cat 30 2x12...I'll prolly be looking to get it made into a head and cab combo (for portability reasons) but i've got a Glock 30 on hold and gotta come up with 600.00 to pay for that...

in any case, the Hot Cat 30 (my version, at least) is spanky clean and can be eq'd a bit dark. It also helps if you've got a smoky sounding pickup in the neck (i've used mine with an M1 equipped Anderson Cobra and now a H1- eqipped HDT Anderson) and it's the perfect "sweetness" of sound. Granted, in my opinion, these are "darker" sounding guitars but it does really, really well with the hotcat.

dave

4. B Vance

B Vance Member

Keith Urban runs a Shiva and a Hot Cat at the same time. A few months ago on CMT Crossroads with John Fogherty, Urban played his Nashville Tele into a Hot Cat 30 head with a 2x12 Bad Cat extension cab and his Bogner Shiva with a 2x12 Bogner extension cab. He used the Shiva for the cleans and then kicked in the Cat for the grit, spank and drive. It had great tone in my opinion. I have never tried this combo first hand though. I think you owe it to yourself to give it a shot though.

Just some food for thought.

5. bobbtoz

Thanks for the reply, but the hot cat better be able to deliver more gain than a John Fogherty tune or I'll kick my own ass w/ some cowboy boots.

I need the Hot Cat to take me into some 80's metal (old Def Lep, Judas Priest, Dio, Dokken, Whitesnake). The shiva will do that w/ a boost, but seems a little biting at higher levels. I'm thinking the hot cat will be smoother and offer more distortion and sustain, both of which are a good thing for me.

Please keep your feedback coming!

6. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Supporting Member

the Hot Cat will do whatever distortion you need. 80's metal? Easy. I think the only thing it probably wouldn't do is uberschall-type thrash metal stuff, which I hate anyway so no loss there. I think the best tones out of the amp are by combining the channels with an aby switch. I've had mine for over two years now and still am amazed by what it will do.

7. flicker180

flicker180 Member

yeah it'll do Judas, Lep, etc. without much of thought. Turn the Edge control and Gain Controls up and run the boost via a AB switch...I've got the Bad Cat channel pedal for my Hot Cat which makes it wicked easy to combine channels...and a really hot boost it does make.

dave

8. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

don't worry about gain..the hot cat can SCREAAAAAAAAAAM. i pulled the 12ax7 in the v2 and put a mullard 12at7 because there was too much gain! i had never turned it up past halfway and i still had the gain...so now i still have all that gain on tap, i just turn it up 3/4 of the way rather than 1/2....

9. bobbtoz

I like what I'm hearing from you guys, but I just talked to a store owner who sells the hot cats and the shiva. He describes the tone of the shiva as more smooth and the hot cat as more raw. I've heard people describe it the other way around. Also I got the impression that he felt the shiva had as much gain as the hot cat.

10. flicker180

flicker180 Member

the 'cat can be raw, but if you stroke it nice, it'll purr like a kitten...

dave

11. B Vance

B Vance Member

The voicing on the gains is much different between the Shiva and the Hot Cat.

The rawness of the gain on the Hot Cat is dependent upon settings, tubes and pick attack. It can be as smooth or as raw as you want it to be. Don't think that you will be locked into one sound. There's plenty of gain too.

12. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

sometimes i feel like the hot cat is TOO smooth, but if you lower the level and the edge it usually breaks up very nicely. not to mention throwing it on the neck pickup helps as well...especially for crunchy rhythm stuff

13. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I wasn't crazy about the one I used to have. Dialing in the amp was a real pain. No matter how I seemed to dial in the amp, I still got a gritty, raw kind of attack. It had good clarity, but the bite was a bit too much for my tastes. I also found that once I dialed in a setting I liked on it in one place, I'd take it to another and couldn't get it to sound right at all.

The volume boost from the clean to overdrive put me through the roof. The Hot Cat is insanely loud and doesn't sound decent until it gets turned up a bit.

14. bobbtoz

I'm gonna try this amp out for myself. I've heard that you need to spend some time tweaking this amp.

15. flicker180

flicker180 Member

yeah, i'm still tweaking mine around...getting the custom shop mods done also gives a little more flexibility.

dave

16. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I would say don't unload the shiva, keep it. The hot cat is not as musical or natural sounding. The 'smoothness' talked of is due to it being real high gain and more compressed. At the same time it has a sharp sizzle to it that makes the pick attack less smooth than the shiva. The clean tone pales in contrast to the shiva. The bad cat clean lacks the big low end of the shiva, and the clean is just flatter. Keep in mind that I am referencing the shiva with 6L6 tubes. If you have the el34 version you may find a bit less low end and more grit in the overdrive. The 6l6 shiva is smoother and bigger sounding.
    I like the concept of the hot cat, but find it to be a compromise because of shared eq controls, and the distortion is just too modern in its voicing. I like more upper mid honk available for an upfront lead tone.
    I think coming from the shiva the hot cat will be a letdown. Do you really need more gain? the shiva with the boost on and gain cranked with a humbucker has a whole lot of distortion. You issue with it tuned up is more a function of comfort level with playing at those volumes, and how the speakers react to the extra output. The amp can't lose gain as it is cranked, that is impossible. I would try a different speaker that perhaps compresses a touch when driven, which will make the amp feel smoother at higher levels.