Hot Cat or Cub?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MTLove, Aug 13, 2005.

1. MTLove

MTLove Member

I am thinking of getting a Cub II 15 watt 1x12, and heard that I won't get any saturation or gain, and that it is really just a clean amp. And that the Hot Cat 15 watt would solve that as it has 2 channels. Does anyone know?

Thanks.
    Marty

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

The two amps are WAY different.

Way different.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

agreed.. the only similarity is that they both sound great. what styles of music are you looking into?

4. MTLove

MTLove Member

Just sold a Gain star 30 as it was too much gain, and more modern than my taste, and more wattage than I'll ever get a chance to use in church. So am thinking something with 84s and just 15 watts.

I have a 72 twin, and use a tele and strat through it. And have a LP classic, and have been looking for an amp that will give me some gain, but keep the tonality. Not into the Marshall, modern gain or the Mesa, or a lot of high gain, and like the Matchless DC-30--that it has gain but keeps it tone. I like more bluesy, warm, full gain than Shiva type gain. Any advice would help.

How are the Cub and Hot Cat different? In the 15 watt they both have 84s, and in the Hot Cat I could turn the gain up just a touch and it sounded good. Haven't tried a Cub as I can't find one around here to listen to, and a couple people have said I won't get any gain, that it's a clean sound only.

Appreciate your knowledge and input.
    Marty

5. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

I think you'll get plenty of gain in the cub using the master/vol. especially with HB's. Use pedals for more gain options. The OCD and TIM work great with this amp. For anything from natural breakup from a boost or full on high gain from the OCD.

The HOT CAT 15 has MORE gain and uses a solid state rectifier (the HC 30 gives you the choice of tube vs SS.) Also lots of gain shaping controls. The clean channel (I beleive) has no EQ. It's a flat response and IMHO pretty unimpressive on it's own. At least that's the way the HC 30 is setup. The new Hot Cats have a tone control for the clean channel so that's a plus.

Glad you sold the Gain star! I'll probably keep mine, can't bring myself to sell it!

6. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

7. MTLove

MTLove Member

Cool. Thanks Ted.

I tried out Hot Cat 15W head. The gain was good, but again probably turned up it was more than I'd use. Question: does the clean channel on the Hot Cat sound the same as the clean on the Cub? Or are they that different. My thought was that if they are the same clean, then with a Hot Cat I'd have the same clean as the cub, and the option of how much gain I want.

Thanks for the heads up on the cub.

Marty

8. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

The clean on the cub is similar to the gainstar clean on channel 1. The hot cat clean is far less dymanic.

9. MTLove

MTLove Member

Great info. That helps. Thanks.

10. B Vance

B Vance Member

The Hot Cat comes in 30watts. You must have tried out the 15watt custom shop Hot Cat. I have yet to hear or play one of those.

For my particular style I perfer the Cub. The Hot Cat has much too much gain for my style. I just ordered a Black Cat. Great amp, 30watts with a half power switch for 15watts. Two usable channels like the Hot Cat, but much less gain. More similar to the Cub but also more flexible. 2x12 speaker configuration and super heavy.

The Master Volume option on the Cub is great. It is extremely interactive with the amp's tone controls and your guitar's volume. I have yet to play humbuckers through it, but a tele and strat both sounded heavenly. Great cleans and a nice balanced saturated tone with the master. I'm not sure what the custom shop 15watt Hot Cats go for, but the Cub is about a full G less than the Hot Cat 30watt.

You couldn't go wrong with either in my opinion.

11. MTLove

MTLove Member

Thanks BVance--sure appreciate guys like you and Ted sharing your info and knowledge. Very cool.

12. B Vance

B Vance Member

Happy to help.

If you have any questions give James at Bad Cat a call. Great guy and super helpful/friendly. He can tell you whatever you could possibly want or need to know about the two amps. Overall great customer service and great products.

13. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

Definitely┬ůJames is cool, always responds. Great customer service.