Hot Cats: Level and Master Volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mcdyas, Jun 29, 2008.

1. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I am not understanding exactly what is the interplay and reason for the Level and Master Volume on the gain channel on the Hot Cat. They seem to do the same thing and neither affects the clean channel volume. Can someone explain this to me?

2. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

According to the Hot Cat manual (and my ears when playing mine) - the level control affects how hot of a preamp signal is fed into the power amp on the Gain channel only. The master controls the overall power amps. Play around with it - you an hear a difference when you adjust the level control at the same overall volume setting on the master. Go with what your ears like best. Hope that helps.

4. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

the only thing is that the master volume on mine has no effect on the clean channel

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

It's not supposed to...only works with the gain channel....you will hear a difference with different settings of the level control...

6. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

So, the Level control acts as a master volume for the Gain channel and the Master Volume only affects the Gain channel?

Maybe the Level is pre-PI and the Master Volume is post-PI???

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Not quite - the Master volume is just that - a Master for the Gain channel only. The Level control also affects the gain channel only - but, actually controls how hot the preamp signal is on the gain channel before it hits the power amp (which the Master controls). I hope that helps.

8. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

if you had a master volume amp, the level would be the "gain" knob and the master would be the master volume. Then just make that 1 channel. then just add a clean channel with no master volume on that to the amp as well.

essentially the level is the preamp volume and the master is the poweramp volume knob.

9. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I don't know:

- the clean channel has one volume knob which is the only knob that controls the clean channel volume

- the gain channel has a gain knob, level knob and master volume knob; the level knob is not a another gain stage, it seems to act exactly the same as the master volume knob as if there are two master volumes set in a series

10. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Imagine a three channel amp where each channel has a gain and a volume, with a master volume which affects all three channels simultaneously.

On the Hot CAt, the gain is just that
    The "level" is equivalent to the channel volume
    The master is equivalent to the global master

I agree that it seems like a redundant system, but it does give you more control options. I just set it at 1200 and leave it on the HC30, but on my Triamp, I adjust the channel volumes to get specific characteristics into my tones.
    The HC30 sounds good wherever, once those eq knobs get to 3 o'clock. Less gain is more tone too there.