Hot, Fat Telecaster pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Loobster, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Loobster

Loobster Member

I have an American Deluxe Telecaster as my number 2 guitar after my ASAT Special. I greatly prefer the hotter, fatter, more lively and just plain more toneful pickups on it to the SNC's on the Telecaster. I would like to change the pickups for something that is at least comparable. Has anyone got any recommendations? Maybe the Rio Grande Muy Grande?

2. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

If you don't really need a lot of twang, the Muy Grande is meaty, beatty, big, & bouncy!

-db

3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I very recently acquired a Suhr Classic T model with John Suhr's stock Broadcaster Bridge and Chrome T neck pick-ups, and I am very impressed with the toneful, relatively hot and open quality of these -- especially the bridge. But these pick-ups definitely offer more than a bit of twang.

4. Loobster

Loobster Member

I'm not worried about twang, I really just want something that gets me close to the sound of the big G&L MFDs. Really so my two gigging guitars sound fairly similar...

I will definitely try out the Muy Grande.

5. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Throw a Seymour Duncan BG1400 in there! If you do I recommend a push/pull pot to split it for more tonal bliss.

6. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Grab a Lollar Special neck, and a Lollar J-Street bridge. Awesome, thick, you name it.

7. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

In addition to the Lollars, check out Zhangliqun. No website, but you can email him at zhangbucker@yahoo.com and check out his info in the business section here.

His Paul Bunyan set or Twang Smokers sound amazing for the tones you're after. His toneful pickups and service are second to none and his prices are exceptional. One of the best kept secrets in the pickup world.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

9. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Bare Knuckles Piledriver set. Lotsa oomph, but still sounds like a Tele.