Hot Rod Deluxe III help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by philamag87, Jan 21, 2012.

1. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

I purchased a new HRD3 from Guitar Center today after spending about 2 hours trying 5 different guitars with humbuckers, P-90's and single coils. I loved the sound of all the guitars thru that amp!! I like the dirty channels too even though some people aren't fond of them. I was sold! Traded my 04 Marshall DSL401 towards it.

Here's the problem: I take the amp home, put a seat belt on it in the truck too, plug in my 61 RI SG and BAM the worst sound guitar ever! No clarity way too much bass even with the bass on 0. I have WCR pups and pots, Callaham bridge, aluminum tailpiece and Spraque Vitamin Q 0.022 pots. I don't know what to do. I don't have any other guitars to test it with.

Is there a mod for the volume? I don't like that I can only go to 2 or else be blown out of the room.

And how do I stop the tube rattling? Didn't notice that in GC

Thanks for the help!!

2. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Sounds like you should take it back to GC.

3. philamag87

I was hoping I wouldn't have to because it's about an hour away from where I live but I think you may be right! :thud Seems like I just can't win!

4. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

I had exactly the same problem with a Blues Jr once and several amps since. It sounded amazing in the shop and too dark and dull when I got home. After a few different amps later I began to realise that the room I play in at home is acoustically very poor. The walls are too close together and it makes all amps I try sound dull.

Don't fret. If the amp sounded great in the store it will sound great at a gig. You may want to think about the room you play in and consider a different set up for home playing.

Gazza

5. 5E3

5E3 Member

Is the amp you purchased and brought home the same unit you were demo'ing in the store?

If not, your new/unused amp will have a speaker that is not broken in. The tubes may also change a bit after they are cooking for multiple hours.

If you have a new/unused amp at home, give it some time to break in. Play it loud and a lot. Also, invite a friend to bring over a different guitar ... maybe something like a Strat or Tele and give that a go. Work those volume controls on your guitar ... back them down low.

If the amp is just not going to work with your SG, take it back and move on. It's a drag, but it happens and there are a lot of really great amps to chose from these days.

6. JKjr

JKjr Member

^^^^^^^^^
    bingo!

7. telest

telest Member

This man is probably/definitely correct. I've experienced this before as well. Room sizes etc...make a big difference.

Steve

8. adaytonguitarist

adaytonguitarist Senior Member

Dont give up on the Deluxe just yet. As has been suggested, try it in the biggest room in your place, and get it off the ground and tilted upwards with a chair or an amp stand. Ive been using one for several years and I love it. You just have to tame the volume a bit.

I use a ToneDial attenuator in the FX loop. It allows me to get saturated tube tone at any volume. You could also try a sholtz power soak, a hot plate or a weber mass.
    [​IMG]

9. philamag87

Yeah this is the floor model from the store. It was sitting on the lower rack of the fender amps display. I have a tele but the neck went so i'm waiting for fender to send me a new one in order to try it with this amp. My SG sounds ok through my Blues Jr. I will take the HRD to practice tomorrow and try it there. The only other issue would be the volume control. If I put it on 3 I blow myself right out of the room and the tubes rattle like hell. How do I fix that if i decide to keep the amp?