Hot Rod Deluxe opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael stuart 57, Mar 3, 2012.

1. michael stuart 57

michael stuart 57 Member

Got a chance to swap a Marshall 1936 2x12 for a Hot Rod Deluxe.

any opinions on this amp or suggestions on tweeking it

tanx

2. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

A buddy of mine has one, and I've played it extensively. Cleans are beautiful; everything you'd expect from a Fender amp. Unfortunately, so is the dirt; muddy, noisy, and inarticulate, IMO. There may be any number of mods available, which you could either find online and do yourself if you're handy or send out to have done professionally (Voodoo Amplification - not to be confused with Voodoo Labs; I was initially confused by the similarity in names - is one place which is supposed to do very good work on bringing out the full potential of Fender amps). The 1x12 combo is rated at 40watts, and it's loud as hell. Basically, unless you want to spend a ton of money and/or time tweaking, this amp seems best as a loud, squeaky-clean pedal platform, so if that's what you're looking for, it's a great match for you...of course, there are plenty of amps in this price-range which will serve this purpose nicely, so I'd say it's really nothing special in that category. What style(s) you play, your needs from an amp, what price you want to pay, and what gear you use are all very important questions to ask yourself. Good luck.
    Steve

3. DK207

DK207 Member

Check out how old the amp is. I had an older one (2005 ish if I remember correctly) and it had great cleans that took pedals really well, but it was WAY too loud. The volume pot went from too quiet to hear to really friggin loud very quickly. Extremely hard to control volume on mine. Heard the newer ones are better with respect to this issue but not sure what year this is the case. Also the drive channels were really bad. I never used them for drive, I just put pedals into the amp clean.

4. michael stuart 57

michael stuart 57 Member

is this amp PCB or is it PTP

5. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

6. televox

televox Member

They are pcb.
    These amps get are hard time because of the dirt channel.
    Fact is they are the perfect small to medium venue gigging amp, you'll even see them on stadium stages.
    If you use pedals they are a great amp.

7. whitepapagold

whitepapagold Member

They are a great CHEAP amp for loud gigging. They do take pedals well.

BUT...

The top end/treble sounds terrible. Harsh, thin and spikey which is exactly the opposite of the amp they were modeled after...

I had a deluxe reissue. I had the first version that everyone says is better than the hot rod (that spawned the hot rod). My old lead singer gigged with a hot rod. So I have had extensive experience with both versions.

Anyone who says they do the "fender clean tone" has never heard them next to an original tweed- deluxe, vibrolux, tremolux, princeton etc. They do the new PCB edgy cheap sounding fender top end- not their original namesakes...

BUT for about 400 used, it is what it is- a cheap gigging amp. I recommend them to new players for their first loud amp and had my bosses grandson buy one- he's 11 and takes guitar seriously, and gigs already.

If you don't know what smooth top end is, then you won't miss a thing.

8. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

I had 2 US made Hot Rod Deluxes that I had modded by Omega Amps. My suggestions if you intend to keep it:

Change the input jacks to Marshall style input jacks. The stock Fender input jacks will break off from the circuitboard it gets flexed by the cable plug. Install the Marshall style input jack upside down and run the leads to the circuitboard. This allows the jack to flex if it gets knocked around and the wiring remains wired to the board.

Do the R103 reverb mod to get the reverb to operate with the correct taper.

Replace drive master volume pot with an audio taper pot of the same value. It will operate with the correct taper.

Change stock speaker to an Eminence Cannabis Rex. Much more smoother sounding and takes away the harsh high end this amp kicks out.

Guitar George

9. truecam123

truecam123 Member

I have had mine for about 10 years so it's an older one.
    Same thing everyone says. Cleans are pretty good, (Never had a real nice fender), both gain channels were pretty shrilly. The amp takes pedals pretty well, but I found that no matter what I do, when it is really cranked it sounds thin. If the band you play with is not that loud you would be fine, but if someone has a Mesa or something, look out, the battle is on.
    I use it now as a nice low volume practice amp.
    O yea, and the input jacks went out on me at some point and needed to be replaced.

10. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I had a USA made one.The drive and more drive channel are horrible IMO. The volume pots are touchy as hell. You go from a whisper to ear bleeding territory with almost no movement.The reverb isnt great . They mount the tubes directly on the pcb , so there are alot of problems with heat issues. There have been alot of reliability issues with these amps. I would pass if it were me.

11. michael stuart 57

michael stuart 57 Member

Yea your right but whoops too late I bought the Bullet
    :facepalm

How about a 15" JBL... really will take a look at tightening a farty neck pick up tone.

I needed another power amp for the marshal 2x12 to get tone and that was way too loud.

IT is noisey so the jacks might help butt what about some tubes

NOS could help with the noise ....especially with a speaker swap.

now that i think of it something like a JBL might be right

OH I do like smooth... what amp did Chet use? Wes? Standel yeah thats the ticket..

All you comments ring true and remind me improvements can be made.

BUt dog gonne it I Want my Fender Pro back

No its not even close to 40 watt BF

Tanks What should I do first

12. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

Had one that I got in a trade, but was too loud. It jumped in volume with a little tweak of the volume pot, but I heard that is fixed with the correct pot replacement. Other than that it had nice clean sound and took pedals pretty well.

13. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

I love mine. It is a limited edition with a Celestion G12 Vintage speaker. It is in my signature.

14. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

Congrats on the new amp! Is it an HRDX II or III?

For suggestions on mods, take a look at this thread:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=993474

:)

15. ocripes

ocripes Supporting Member

Omega Mods...search TGP. I like mine a lot: tuned up OD, foot switchable mid and pre-amp boost, JJ tubes, Hellatone 60 speaker. Great with or w/o pedals.

16. piperman

piperman Member

I've used one for the last 7 yrs or so. Always liked it with pedals and it's a pretty decent gigging amp.

17. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Awesome cleans. Put in a12Dw7 in V2 and the drive will be transformed with NO change in the cleans.

Its cleans are notably good, annd pedals are awesome.

18. Dashface

Dashface Member

Had an old USA one for my first amp - played it for 7 years straight. I still miss it. Like mentioned here, it gets a super bad rap on here because of the drive channel... But who cares about that anyway? With the really quite excellent cleans and a ton of power, it is a perfect pedal platform. Portable, too!

I've been gigging with a hand-wired Deluxe Reverb clone lately, and while I love it a lot I honestly miss the HRD sometimes.

19. mike361

mike361 Member

Lots of info here, in fact I think the 900 or so post in the omega amp thread tells it all. Obviously some like it, some don't. I do like mine. It is the ver 2. I put a WGS et65 in it and new tubes since trading some gear for. Thought I would just flip it since I really don't need 4 amps, but the smoky cleans with the different speaker really warm it up and it has a great bluesey classic rock growl to it. No it is not a blackface type clean, much thicker. But if you scoop the mids and bass it can do that to. I also think its a great pedal platform and is definitely loud enough. I say if you got a extra 300, put a different speaker in it and send it to Omega. I actually like it stock, but I rarely play it without a tubescreamer in front.

20. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

I have one. I put in a WGS ET65 in mine. Like Mike361. Wow. Great speaker. Big difference. The dirt channel sounds better too.