Hot Rod Deluxe tone vs DeVille?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soybean, May 24, 2012.

1. soybean

soybean Member

I've played through a Fender DeVille at some rehearsals and really liked the tone and sound of the clean channel. Will a Hot Rod Deluxe sound similar as far as tone? I realize the Deluxe is not as loud and has only one speaker. I'd probably get a Deville but the damn things are heavy!

Also, do you prefer the older American made hot rod series or the newer III models?

Thanks!

2. BoogieEngineer

BoogieEngineer Member

I'm planning to get a used Hot Rod Deluxe for small venues and easy transporting. Scott Henderson uses one and he replaced the stock speaker with a Celestion G12-65 and yielded good results. Plus it's much lighter than the DeVille, around 40lbs I guess. FYI Mike Landau used the DeVille quite a few times.

3. strathumper5150

strathumper5150 Member

im wondering if the webers would be a good match for the 4-10 but the 1-12's ive heard the celestion and do sound great! they both take pedals up front great!

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The Deville is a bit brighter and doesn't have as much distortion available, but they're similar. The power difference is negligible. I don't really like either of them all that much, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick the deluxe because it's gain channel is better.

5. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

I have worked on both: A USA Deville and a Mexican HRDX III. The Deville is much more robust than the Deluxe and has a slightly different voice when played side by side.

Here's a photo of the HRDX III board:

[​IMG]

Those blank spots are where the Deville's capacitor's go into place. But, just plugging in the caps for a Deville on a Deluxe board will not achieve a Deville tone as there are several other points where the part values are different between the two amps.

The USA Deville sounded incredible while the HRDX III struggles to sound as good. And yeah, the Deville's are heavy monsters... but the tone is worth it.

6. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

Haven't played the newer HRDs, but I used own one several years back and play through a newer Deville 212. I personally prefer the HRD over the Deville except for the ridiculous volume jump which I know can be fixed with the change of the volume pot. Either way, both exceptional amps at a good price.

7. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

I tried a gat recently thru both. I own neither - I have two Victoria amps. In that situation I did not like the HR Deluxe at all wheres I thought the clean sound of the 4 x 10 DeVille was very nice indeed. However it was sooooooo loud. It was loud in a sizable store with the clean volume on 2. I mean, quite loud.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'll bow to your knowledge about them. I haven't played them side by side, but for some years was in a band where I used here HRDeVille and the rhythm guitarist used a HRD. I thought they sounded pretty close.
    That said, I could use the DeVilles OD channel because I used light OD, but higher gain they don't sound good to me. Mainly used the clean channel, with pedals (Zendrive was great with it!).

My biggest beef with the amps (both) may not be a problem for some, but that they don't have foot switchable, or even switchable at all, reverb bugged the hell out of me. The reverb pot is the wrong type, just like the volume, and it takes and old time safecrackers touch to set it just right...not something one can do on the fly. I can't believe they did that, and also the "more drive" foot switch (where they could have let one turn off and on he reverb) seems useless to me. It was too big a hop...I could set drive OR more drive right, but never switch betwee the two.