Hot Rod enthusiasts... Why does this happen????

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by standard24, Feb 23, 2015.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

I recently saw a video compilation of Mustangs losing control and wiping out when their tires break loose. Not a high speeds, maybe less than 30 mph.

I saw similar crashes in a parade featuring exotic high performance cars.

I wonder if the solid rear axle in the Mustangs could be a factor, but the Ferarri's & such would all have independent suspension and they were wiping out around corners at low speed.

I thought the cars would straighten up after they let off the gas, but the drivers (and the spectators) got a rude surprise when the cars left the road and into the crowds.

2. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Broken differentials?

3. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Poor driving technique. They counter steer too much

4. mikebat

mikebat Member

Weight transfer, bad suspension. Sudden prodding of the gas pedal, followed with a "whoa, I wasn't expecting that" throttle lift off, weight transfer, car gets loose, no experience or bad handling car and.....poof, you have jut lost control

5. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

Bad drivers, IMO. I've watched a few videos like that and it's always following a showboat type burnout or faux drift type turn. They get that ok crap syndrome, over correct then the car grabs like it should moving forward into their turned wheels and then the curb or neighboring car.

Classic E.S.T.O.. Equipment superior to operator.

Without trying to sound like im on my own high horse, I've done stupid crap in my time as well. Luckily I never damaged my vehicle doing that stupid crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Wedge

Wedge Supporting Member

I am sure that driver error, as in young and stupid, plays a part in this. If you search youtube you can see the same compilation for almost very make and model car. Can't blame the mustang other than it has horsepower and attracts dummies......I fell I can say this since I had one :)

7. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Member

Not sure about the Mustangs but with the Exotics, most of them have the motor in the back. When all that weight starts swinging out like a pendulum, it aint gonna end well. You need to re-learn how to drive a rear engined car.

8. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

:spit

9. Solo996

Solo996 Member

Yep driver error - inexperience

10. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Yep, bad/inexperience driver

11. drewl

drewl Member

So this co worker from England asks to drive my 91 5.0 that was slightly worked when we were going out to lunch years ago.

He tachs it up, dumps the clutch and we were sideways heading for a bunch of parked cars. Luckily the car stopped in time in spite the inferior brakes on the old 5.0's

So I said, "Not used to rear drive cars eh?"

12. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

I used to do autocross three weekends a month and track day when I could. You learn that the typical response of lifting off the gas only makes it worse. If you think about it, by lifting or braking, you are transfering weight from the rear tires to the front. Less weight equals less traction.

I did a track day at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL. There are several elevation changes, and you can't turn the steering wheel until the weight settles back on the car after cresting a hill. I forgot that ONCE and almost put a Z06 Vette into the armco barrier at >90mph.

13. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

The car exceeded the drivers talent level.

This happens in all high performance cars. Many times within hours of obtaining the car. When a car breaks loose you have a fraction of a second to react properly or it is over.

Mustangs are more affordable than porsche or Ferrari, so you see more mustangs do stupid things. Age has a little to do with it, but not that much.

14. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Tracks are unforgiving to these little mistakes. Glad you didn't damage the car or yourself while learning the lesson. I've done a couple of off track excursions, and it is a humbling experience.

15. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

two different reasons

mustang? yes, high HP coupled with a solid rear axle that will "hop" around. (try driving a stang through a corner and hit a bump, the rear wil hop to the side....wipeout of if don't know how to control.

not reall Ferraris, but I have heard that the lambos have bad weight distribution (too much center weight which causes the frt and rear wheels to not grab in aggressive cornering)

16. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

mostly this, an experienced race car driver really earns his pay. these guys know what they are doing

17. Structo

Structo Member

Depending on tires, some cars can spin if you suddenly let off the throttle usually in a corner.

Of course that is usually at high speed.

I remember that one Lambo video where the driver turned left at an intersection, he goosed it and spun into oncoming cars.

So lack of driving skills, or experience, is usually the predominant cause in most car crashes.

It's like when you see a kid on a new sport bike that has zero riding hours.

You see them all the time riding with T shirts and shorts, tennis shoes.

Only a matter of time before they are scraped off the pavement.

18. NAC25

NAC25 Supporting Member

There was a video floating around featuring two Corvettes street racing. Neighborhood (The Woodlands) with lots of people walking, riding their bikes etc. One Vette gooses it too much at the start, loses control and runs his Vette into the other Vette. Classic douche baggery.

Edit: found the clip:

http://youtu.be/kzlg3oQMze4

19. standard24

standard24 Member

With the proliferation of super high performance cars, such as the new 700 HP Challenger, should we expect to see more YouTube crash videos? It seems like lots of new cars have horsepower number like we've never seen before.

20. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Loose nut behind the wheel, etc...