• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

hot rodded peavey (in the making)

tfaith08

I just got a new Peavey Valveking half stack that i really like. Im currently playing a Jackson DKMG with 1 18v EMG and a single volume knob, and im very close to the sound i want. I really want to be able to feel what im playing just as much as i hear it. (for a better idea, compare nirvana's rape me to Rammstein's Du Hast) I really want a little more high end gain, and a lot more tone and drive overall, but i want it controlled at the same time.

To sum it up, I want my amp to sound like my guitar's volume knob is on 10 instead of on 5.

One last thing, im on a budget.

here's a clip that i posted on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6qupKwtUas

the chords at 0:19-0:20 are a lot closer to the actual sound. the camera took away a lot of the lows and mids

eyeball987

Silver Supporting Member
I am guessing that you are asking for some tips to get closer to what you want on the cheap. Is that correct?

I would go with a boost out front and an EQ in the loop. You can get a Bad Monkey or Dano Cool Cat Trans OD for $40 brand new ($30 and under used) and I like the MXR 10 band for the EQ but those are over $100 new. Worth it though. I bought mine used years ago for $80 I think?

BPSUL

If you're really looking for an EQ pedal on the cheap you can go with the dano fish n' chips. Lotta people love those...

tfaith08

I really want to mod the amp so that i can have a sleeper and keep everyone in the dark as far as what ive got. Ive already removed the peavy emblem and that wing contraption on the front, replaced all the knobs, and added a new grille and painted the control plate. I really want to be able to just plug in and go. Ive already got peoples heads turning because of the way the guitar is set up and how much heavier it makes it, but its not good enough for me.

eyeball987

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know who mods those. How much open space is there in the head shell? Maybe you can wire an EQ into the loop and keep the pedal inside the head shell. No one would see it then.

Mad_Scientist

Voodoo amps has a Valveking mod thats about $300. I haven't tried that, but I replaced the speakers in my VK 2x12 combo with Celestion G12T-75s and I like these a lot better than the stock speakers.

tfaith08

what kind of tonal change is it? I looked FJA up last night, and i really like the way they sound. they sound a lot like a hot rodded plexi to be honest. I know for sure that ill change the tubes, but idk what combination ill use. Whatever gives me the most punch and gain will probably be what i go with. Im also going to try the jumper cable in the fx loop. heard some good things about that.

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
2 free and easy mods for the VK:

1. If you're not using the effects loop, jumper it with a short patch cable. There a noticeable difference in tone and volume.
2. Put a dummy jack in input 1 and use input 2. This changes the sound of the gain noticeably also.

Big tonal differences for free.

Wilbur

2 free and easy mods for the VK:

1. If you're not using the effects loop, jumper it with a short patch cable. There a noticeable difference in tone and volume.
2. Put a dummy jack in input 1 and use input 2. This changes the sound of the gain noticeably also.

Big tonal differences for free.
+1 on both of these suggestions.

Wilbur

Another tip. Don't use the gain boost (which sounds really bad IMO). Crank the amp louder. Dig into the PI and output tubes a bit more.

Trending Topics