Hot Tuna-The Rampage Years

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by roadfilm, Dec 6, 2016.

1. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

These guys were amazing during this period. I saw them in 1976 on a double bill with Santana, Santana was touring the Amigos album, killer show. Jack Casady is a monster, one of the greats as is Jorma.

2. Scottone

Scottone Supporting Member

Would have loved to see them back then. I've seen them 2 or 3 times in the last several years and they were great every time.

roadfilm likes this.
  3. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

I saw them before they were even called Hot Tuna, opening for the Jefferson Airplane around '68 or '69.

massacre likes this.
  4. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I just realized that was 40 years ago, I was only 14 years old at the time, damn. The show I saw was at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.

5. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Ya, before Hot Tuna they were called Hot Sh*t ! :bandBut management and the label didn't like the name:dunno

6. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I love the double album they did called "Double Dose".

I wore that thing out and had to buy another.

[​IMG]

paulg and Mark 63 like this.
  7. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

The only Hot Tuna period that mattered! What guitar is he playing? Jack with the Flying V bass is just too much.

8. Flash 442

Flash 442 Member

Great Band
    Saw 'em twice 'bout that time

9. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

If you are a fan of the Tuna, and are a guitar or bass player, you owe it to yourself to spend a weekend at Fur Peace Ranch. Trust me.

zzzezums, Cal Webway and massacre like this.
  10. massacre

massacre Silver Supporting Member

I'm a big Jorma fan, I wanted to play like him when I grew up lol
    That never really happened though. The first album has a great vibe and when I heard it I couldn't believe it was only 1 guitar. Burgers I like too, papa john creach FTW
    And obviously Jack Cassidy is stellar too

ETA: I saw HT in the 80s in NH, they opened for The Band (no RR though) and they were both great.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  11. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

12. kwaves99

kwaves99 Member

One of the loudest shows I ever went to was Hot Tuna at the Academy of music in 1977. We actually walked out of the show finally at around 6 in the morning, and they were still playing. We were just too fried to stay at that point.

Grobos Phunt and roadfilm like this.
  13. Liquid Ranger

Liquid Ranger Supporting Member

The rampage years indeed....sometimes known as the STP and Vodka years:)
    Palladium/ NYC/ 1976 attended the "late" show, meaning started at 12 midnight ( or a little bit thereafter ) and when the show ended and the doors flung open it was daylight....and then walked around NYC for 3 hours in the freezing cold because we "lost" our car:)
    A San Francisco/ psychedelic / hard rock trio tour de force from 76 -78 for sure.
    Loud, yes, stacks of Hi Watts, Oranges and SVT's ...visceral and complex...Hot F&*king Tuna
    Miss those days....couldn't hang like I could then though:)

14. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

I saw them @ The Chateau Liberte one New Years ('76 or '77 ? )

Jorma thru two Marshall stacks in a room with an 8 foot ceiling was pretty loud and there were Angels watching over the festivities

Jack has always been one of my heroes.

15. karmadave

karmadave Member

I love how Hot Tuna mixes old-time Acoustic Blues with balls-to-the-wall Rock and Roll!

16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I've seen so many live Tuna shows! In c. winter '77, in a freaking blizzard, I hitched from my college in Binghamton, NY hundreds of miles to Buffalo for one of the best electric Hot Tuna shows I've seen. And yes, it was worth it!

17. FastEddie

FastEddie Member

I was at this show with my friends Case and Sabo (RIP). You had to be well rested for Tuna in those days. Between the Capitol and the local colleges, it seemed like they played a show every other month. They were loud and proud! Time to crank up 99 Year Blues.

18. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I used to see the Papa John line up all the time around the bay area. Met Jack and Papa John after a show in Stockton one night. I wasn't a fan of the "rampage years."

A couple of years ago they played a local gig where the stage is right on a river where there is white water rafting. During the soundcheck Jorma said, "Can I get less river in the monitors?"

If you don't know Jorma, you don't know Jack!

19. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Here's my Hot Tuna winter 76 story. We drove in blizzard conditions from Buffalo to Fredonia to see Jan Hammer Group and HT. When Jan would hit a note on the Mini Moog , I swear my head would compress. I didn't think it could get any louder. Wrong!
    The Tuna played a long long set. Finally the prompter comes on stage and declares this would be the last song. They launched into a twenty minute jam. They walk off stage for about twenty seconds and are returning for their encore. The promoter is on stage taking a mike stand down. A roadie gives him an unceremonious push off the stage. Another long song ensued. Ah the 70's!

20. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

I always liked that period, kind of like a Grand Funk or Blue Cheer, loud, rude, rough.
    Running the fuzz box into the wah, lol.
    Never could get past Jorma's vocals, but I suppose live at 100 decibels it wasn't a problem. It's amazing those guys have any hearing left.
    I always wondered what amps they used (were always in the dark ), y'all answered, looks like a variety.