Hot Wired to Plextortion....and back....probably

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Prodigy, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

You guys may have seen my posts about the Hot Wired pedal. I loved it, but I may have made a little error in judgement today....I tried out a Plextortion today through my amp (Peavey Classic 30) and it sounded great....Traded the Hot Wired with the dealer for the Plextortion...Got it home, played with it for awhile...and now I miss the Hot Wired I traded! I just can't get the same singing lead tones , and while I like the Plextortion as a stand alone classic rock type distortion, I think the Hot Wired is probably a better choice as an OD that can push an amp into high gain modern rock and shred tones...at least at lower volumes...Not sure how both pedals sound with the amp cranked or if I can get the same or better tones at higher/gig volumes. Living in an apartment building really sucks for not being able to crank it up! Aghhh...decisions, decisions...Maybe I'll have to trade back.:NUTS The C30 seems to be pretty finicky about pedals, especially the OD channel...

2. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Yeah but the C30's clean channel takes pedals like nothing else (well, at least in production amps) at any volume. I have the perfect speaker for everything that amp is capable of, especially OD & distortion: the G12H30. Regular 70th anniversary model (got as a Hellatone on eBay for $66! last year).

3. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

Yeah, I've heard that speaker really opens up the amp, and sort of takes the "blanket off the speaker" so to speak.

4. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

Go and buy it back! Seriously, the pedal opens up so nicely at higher volumes, the boost channell sounds magical. Crank up the more gainy channell and there you have a nice rockin tones, have both going together and you will be happy.

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

So it would be good for heavy rock (no metal crap) and face-melting solos pushing the OD of the amp? I had both sides on together, but I didn't take to that combo as much as each channel individually boosting the amp crunch.

6. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

I would think so, but it depends on how well you play etc.

7. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    If you get a chance try a Tone Bone Classic into your Peavey's clean channel. It's my favorite distortion box into my Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, which was designed to take pedals well and it does like no other. I was turned on to it by Bob Sweet, he too uses one and it rips.

TheGrooveking