hotcake versus carb with a ac30

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sssmile, Oct 12, 2006.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

compare and contrast the two please. I am using a D13 vox type amp. Loaded with el84's and blue speakers. guitars are teles and some gibsons.
    What kind of sound would i get? Overly bright? I hear the carb can do clean boost, how much output compare it to something like the sho? Also you know how a clean boost can make things thicker like the D13 lift pedal makes things thick and big and nice and clean and raunchy if you want it. How does the carb compare in that regard. Also is the low end tight or loose on the carb? thanks guys

2. sssmile

sssmile Member

thank you nice reply. let me ask you does it have the same amount of volume output as the sho to be used like a clean boost like the sho? And would this pedal be too bright with a voxy type tone with blue celestions and single coils?

3. sssmile

sssmile Member

thanks man i appreciate it. if you get a chance give it a whirl. :RoCkIn

4. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Check the sig... I use both :AOK

I've never done it this way, but here goes:

Prescence - Hotcake and CARB both have great prescence. CARB's occurs naturally, while Hotcake has a knob to control it.

Clarity - CARB shines through. When you touch it, you hear every note. Hotcake doesn't do this because of.....

Compression - Hotcake's nice and thick with a cream type compression. Makes it sound more distorted/higher gain. CARB doesn't have any compression to it's tone. It relies on the AC30, which already adds compression.

Transperancy - Both pedals are designed specifically for Vox/Orange - EL84/EL34 Amplifiers. They aren't transperant, but the way the opperate, they sound that way.

Brightness - CARB is bright, but not in the "Too much treble" kind of way. The clarity can fool a guitarist, to think its bright.

Pick Sensitivity - BOth of these pedals are extremly sensitive to how you hit the guitar strings. They can be very soft and near clean, or very loud and distorted, just by how you touch the strings.

Gain - I'd say CARB has about half the gain on tap as a hotcake. However, as many people will point out, above 2:00 on the gain knob, Hotcake is unusable, so really the difference there is minimal.

Bottom End: CARB is very tight, Hotcake vey loose. Hotcake sounds like a fuzz in its bottom end. Jayson has done something to CARB to really tighten the bottom end up. What it sounds like is the AC30 bottom end that natural occurs at the volume you play, bt without any extra added.

Amp- Both pedals rely heavily on the amp to be cooking.

SO... What's my take?

I use both pedals. When I want Chimey, straight AC30 tone, but I need more than my amp is kicking out, I stomp on the CARB. It works great for both rhythm and lead, adding some nice preamp like overdrive/distortion, but remaining nice and punchy, with that clarity that I spoke of. When I want smooth thick OD, or smooth leads, I turn to my Hotcake. Let me know if there's more I can explain?

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

yup, I use both! Bulldog explained it well.

Then when I need a rocking treble booster tone I plug in my Dynaranger.

6. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I find myself wondering how a Klon would compare to the Carb w/ a EL84 amp....I have the Carb, not the Klon - and they seem somewhat comparable in that they give a boost, are more for low OD, relatively uncompressed, work better at stage volumes with amps that are working a little. I have the impression that the Klon has more girth, fatness - and that it may be a little more balanced for BF Fender type amps...anyone had experience comparing them? (maybe this is a subject for a separate thread)

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

The Hotcake Bluesberry is great with the Carmen Ghia, but I have to say that my favorite pedal to put in front of it is the ToneFactor Hellbilly, which is like a cross between a fuzz face and a rangemaster treble booster.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

So, if you guys say that the Hotcake has a "loose" feel, maybe I just don't notice it because the Carmen Ghia has such a tight and huge bottom end.

9. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

I have a hotcake that I currently use with my Orange Ad30htc and I have a carb in the mail. Thus far - the Hotcake has responded better to my amp than any OD I have ever owned. I have a super duper 2 in 1 - but I view that purely as a boost. The reason I amp keen on trying the carb is that the hotcake can sound a little compressed and the overtones are a little to coloured for my liking - I am hoping for a little more transperancy, namely for chords, with the Carb.

10. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

You're in for a tread with that carb and your ad30htc. I have that amp as well, and it just loves my carb pedal. Hope you enjoy it.

11. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Thanks Will - I hope I do to!! It will be in early next week I think.:dude

12. sssmile

sssmile Member

how does the carb work with marshalls?

13. QOTSA

QOTSA Senior Member

Really good! Took it to my friends house who is all about Marshalls. Plugged it into a JTM45 and 18w boutique (cant reacall which right now, perhaps germino?) and it killed! Worked pretty much as it does with my vox in that the amp sounded just like the amp with the Carb on, only more crunchy and a bit more present. The JTM was really loud with a 4x12 and the touch sensitivity with the Carb was crazy, from quiet notes to window shaking with just the pick.

The only amp Im not crazy about with it is my Super Reverb because that amp is already so sparkly it prefers pedals with a mid bump. I wouldnt say the Carb doesnt sound good with fenders though cause Ive talked with another forum member who loves it with his Deluxe, perhaps cause it's lower wattage and the Carb really likes to go into an amp with a bit of breakup.

Anyone use theirs with a 6L6 amp?

14. mild

mild Member

Just my two cents...
    The Hotcake kicks the crap outta my Carb, for what I am trying to do with it - that is, a low gain, leave on all the time, OD.

My Carb just brings too much hair to the table... and it sounds GOOD... but my Hotcake + Eternity stack eats its face clean off - soon my Carb will be offered up atop Pride Rock (the Emporium) by Rafiki as an african choir sings "The Circle of Life" over and over again...

15. sssmile

sssmile Member

I got to play with a carb today for a while. i find the carb and the hotcake are pretty similiar when the gain is down on the hotcake. the carb seems to sound a tad bit bigger, both seem to a have nice low end with my rig. I am surprised the carb is super super low gain, its a nice sound, but i was surprised at how it almost seems like a clean boost with a touch of drive to it. Seems to really let the amp sound the same but bigger and louder.

I pulled out my tele plugged straight into the carb and instantly my mind put a picture to the sound that I was hearing. Its like a sunny day at the beach where the sun sparkles off the water, rippling with the waves. Somehow this pedal has that peaceful picturesque sound to it. :dude

Its similiar sounding to the box of rock boost side, or a zvex sho, except it seems to have a little better voicing. Its not as bright, a bit more complex sounding, seems to have a touch of grit to the sound that at first makes it seem not as clear as a sho, but I would say it has more sweetner in the mids and lows so its more dimensional sounding. Its also super quiet in comparison to the zvex boosts which seem to hiss quite a bit. Its got a nice low end and seems to put out a fair of amount of db's, I would say its getting 3/4 of the amount of volume that a sho would. I wonder how many db's this puppy produces.

I really like the carb as a clean boost. Its really clear sounding but with a touch of sugar. Its ok because its the kind of sweetness that won't rot your teeth! :BEER

I like this pedal

16. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Can't go wrong with either hotcake or carb. Gigged with both last night and found them both useful for their own purposes. My hotcake remains #1 at the moment though. On the road to another show right now, we'll see what works best tonight!

17. jakins

jakins Member

possibly looking at a carb or a hotcake with my tophat king royale...usually just use the amps gain, occasionally step on an RC booster, I like the RC's sound but want a little more gain...would the Carb put out more gain than an RC?

18. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Tough call. Carb's got a good amount of gain, but it's not "noticable" gain. It doesn't add compression like most OD pedals, so it doesn't really sound like anything I've ever played thru before. Hotcake on the other hand adds loads of compression and it has alot more gain on tap. I think, when I compare the two, Carb is less smooth but more open, where as hotcake is very smooth and compressed.

I think a person who really loves an amp's overdrive tones would really love the Carb for some added "umpf". If you want added gain and compression, which in turn is a little less amp-like, the hotcake is more the ticket.

19. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

20. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Does the Carb have a first class buffer like the Hot Cake?