Hotcake VS Fulldrive II for my AC30cc2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sixstring531, Jan 20, 2008.

1. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I currently run a FDII in my AC30cc2. I like it alright but I read a lot about the Crowther Hotcake being the OD for the AC30.

Can someone who has used both in an El84 style amp give me some comparison notes? I am not totally unhappy with the FDII but I am looking to better the OD I get through the amp.

THE BIG QUESTION

Which sounds better through an AC30, a Crowther Hot Cake or a Fulltone Fulldrive II (mine is the older blue with cream push/pull comp cut volume knob)?

help is appreciated.

2. sixstring531

Thanks man, I'll check the throback out.

Anymore opinions on the matter?

3. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

I have both a Hotcake and a mid-late 90's FDII, blue w/ cream knobs, a prototype with the vintage switch, one of the first. Both of these pedals sound great with my AC-30 and cover a lot of tones. But I have an early 60's AC-30 treble with rear top boost. Nearly every pedal I have ever played sounds great through this amp.

But at one time I had a Korg Vox and it's a different story I'm afraid. The Korgs aren't bad sounding amps, but they are not true to the original Vox 60's sound either. It's like modelling in a way. Close but not really there. The reissue amps sound more aggressive, edgy and metallic compared to a vintage amp. I can see where a Hotcake pushed too hard might be aggressive and thus not complimentary to a reissue. It is what it is. FWIW, I also have an early 90's Matchless DC-30. While also a great amp, it can be much more picky about OD. It is PTP, but overfiltered like the reissue VOX amps. Just another example, not all copies of the original succeed in every attribute. But, find the right OD for a DC-30 and it is magic. The Hotcake works there too.

An FDII can sound very good, but the eq can be a bit middy like a TS in vintage mode. In flat-mid mode it can sometimes lack the cut through the mix. Have you tried a burst Eternity? I have one of those too (not the current version, the last PTP run), and it sounds really good with an AC-30. Like an FDII, only more refined. A good hybrid combination of the 2 FDII modes, but on one drive pot with much better eq. I can get my bypassed eq and drive eq to be completely equal. Hard to do with many other drives IMO.

I still recommend trying a Hotcake first. They are a steal at $135 shipped from NZ. You will find at least one tone you will like from that box. The slightly pushed boosted drive is where it excels IMO. Complimentary to what the AC-30 achieves on edge. The trick is to set the drive low and push the volume pot to make up the gain. This approach can differ a bit from how most people are accustomed to using OD.

4. sixstring531

Thanks again! Keep em coming! I've heard many good things about the Eternity as well.

5. sixstring531

Friends -- this post is about me :) -- oh well. The year stuff doesn't really impress me much. If one has the money to buy the old stuff, more power to them - I am sure I would do the same. (assuming my boss, wife, would let me)

On the other hand, I do own a mint 1989 (almost 20 years old mind you) Honda Civic DX hatch-back. I can't tell you what a tone-monster this is. When all four cylinders get heated up it can get up to 41 mpg. Don't even get me started on the two NOS speakers which are properly broken (emphasis on the broken) in.

Ah hell, can I get any more help with my original question?

Someone throw me a bone on a good OD through a Vox AC30 CC2
    I would appreciate it. I love this forum and trust the ears of most members.

6. starfish

Your reply is unwarranted. You did hijack the post a bit especially since my reply was not to you. I don't see where you were quoted. Why wouldn't the year of manufacture matter on a Vox amp? It does for nearly all other gear, whether it is an analog vs. digital pedal, a Fender guitar, a Marshall amp. It goes on and on. Year of manufacture defines certain attributes of gear, such as circuit, components, transformers, etc. Beyond that, it's really meant to help describe tonal attributes. In this case a vintage Vox does not tonally sound like the new amps. "Superior reasoning" notwithstanding, the new amps sound more edgy and metallic. Call it PCB, call it new parts, transformers. There are likely several reasons.

The year matters in this discussion because it prefaces my recommendation, i.e. if a certain pedal sounds too harsh, it may be the amp, not the pedal. As such, recommending a Hotcake ad naseum, causes many amp owners confusion because they are not hearing the combination the builder intended. There's a reason the Vox name is legendary, because it was around before the reissue amps were created. As such, many pedal/amp combinations were based on the real deal, not the latest. Crowther Hotcake - case in point.

7. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I have a beautiful Westrex Treble AC30 from 1962 with a factory add on Top Boost.
    And also out of coincidence I also own a Hot Cake, Fulldrive II, ThroBak ODB and an Eternity. I love the HotCake for the vox. It turns it into more a marshall type drive. The Eternity is just heavenly with it as well. My fav at the moment tho is the Throbak...OMG IJWM ( that's I JUST WET MYSELF) Above post describes it perfectly. In fact the only pedal I wouldn't recomend for the AC30 is the Fulldrive. Fulldrive sounds incredible with my old fenders and Two-Rock amps but not great with My vox's or my 65Amps London. So just buy those 3 and you'll be set. I'm not helping much am I. Sorry

8. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I've got a Hayseed 30 (formerly Zenfreud's) and it plays very nicely with just about everything I throw at it. It really likes my OCD v1, my Hotcake and the Throbak ODB. The Hotcake through the EF86 channel is magic.

I really don't think you can loose with the ODB or the Hotcake. I'd say versitility-wise the ODB covers a lot more ground though, but either way you've got a winner you'll likely love.

Good luck in your search.

9. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

I'm not in love with TS style pedals with an Ac30.......mids are but weird. Applies to the FD2 (A pedal I generally dig).

BUT, a Bad Monkey works pretty well, with it's versatile EQ........if you want that kind of sound.

FWIW, the Hotcake never really floated my boat...........but it's been a while.

ODB is probably a good call. My fave is a Hellbilly Germ/Si Hybrid boost/fuzz.........just seems to BOND with Voxes.

- Jim

10. sixstring531

Thank you friends -- a lot of good choices here. Thank you for not fighting. We are guitarists, we are supposed to fight with drummers and lead singers, not each other.

Any more suggestions?

11. Bradders

Bradders Member

something thas not come up yet that I have a great deal of joy with on my various AC-30s ( sorry - -- -couldn't resist :)) is the Xotic RC booster. It'll drive an edgy AC-30 nicely and the fact that the EQ works so effectively means it can open up a real wide range of tones - if you want to fidde with it a little. It's been a mainstay on my board into my Vox for a while and isn't going anywhere.

Another option, and next on my own signal chain, is a Keeley modded RAT which is just plain awesome - but another totally tonally different animal than the RC Booster.

I'd certainly go try out the RC if I were you - I hear you on ODs and the Vox though - some work well and others don't......but the ones that don't can shine with other amps.....................go figure. Perhaps it's the fact that the Vox is a pretty basic, uncluttered beast, that likes to run hot......... Fact is IN MY WORLD - I've found that boosts work better than ODs with an AC-30........

peace
    Bradz.

12. dave s

dave s Member

Whaaa??? I read his post with interest because I've owned a few VOX amps (still do) over the years and have owned both the pedals questioned by the original poster.

While Starfish may have offered his personal opinions about UK-made vs Korg models, he certainly tied his stance in with how the behavior of each amp might affect one's opinion of each of the pedals.

Condescending? No. Informative? Yes. Accurate? Probably.

There are a lot of older and very experienced players here at TGP. Even as one of those 'older and experienced' players, I learn something new here every day!

dave

13. bribrigingo

bribrigingo Member

I emailed Paul and the Hotcake is 125 Euros, which is more like $180 depending on the exchange.

I just picked one up from Musictoyz and am really enjoying it.

I also have a FD II and a Bogner Metropolis. I like the FDII the best in the comp-cut mode for an open slightly broken up rhythm sound. The Hotcake does a hifi low gain solo tone and can really get some good distorted tones as well. Of course, I've only had it for a day.
    Another good option is the eternity as stated before. It really shines with Strats.

14. starfish

It may be a different price to EU. I'm not sure what obligations NZ has to collect VAT to the EU and vice versa.

The last price I have direct from Paul in U.S. $ (no conversion to/from other currencies) is $135 USD + $10 shipping via airmail. Granted this price is a couple months old and he may have increased the cost to adjust to rampant inflation. I'd recommend anyone in the States to email him for a direct USD cost. It may also cost more or less depending on where exactly you live.

15. theraygun

theraygun Member

My two favorites for my AC30CC when I had it were the Hotcake Bluesberry (which is now an option on the standard) and the T-Rex Moller. The Bluesberry just had a warmer sound to it, I never really dug the standard Hotcake.

The Moller has the Mids/Flat-Mids toggle of the Fulldrive, but with a mix a la the Sparkle Drive. Also has a great independent boost on it. Very underrated and made in EU.