Hotcake vs OCD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StudioCat, Jun 4, 2008.

1. StudioCat

StudioCat Member

I'm interested in both. How do they compare? I've borrowed a friends Hotcake and love it. Although with a higher gain setting, I don't think it cleans up all that well as you roll back the volume on your guitar. That's what I hear is so cool about the OCD. Any thoughts?

2. erksin

erksin Member

I had both at the same time (regular HC and v1 OCD) - I thought they both excelled at the volume knob clean up regardless of where the gain was set. But I also thought they both sounded like crap through my 6V6 powered amps so I flipped them immediately.

3. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I run my HC through Fender 6V6 amps and it seems to work for me. I use the drive at 12 o'clock.

Never tried the OCD.

4. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I love my Hotcake with an EL84 type amp. Nice mild OD that gets pretty fuzzy and compressed at higher gain settings.

I've used a few OCDs since they came out. Lots of sizzley highs and crunch on the low end. I liked them alot at low volumes but I found them a bit too top endy and squealy at stage volumes with my amp. YMMV.

5. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have, and like, both (OCD v3). Use the Hotcake more, as it really mates well with the Vox AC30CCH.