1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

HotCake Website?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tlester, Oct 26, 2005.

1. tlester

tlester Member

Hi all - Does Paul Crowther have a web site for his products? If so, what's the URL?

2. hipfan

hipfan Member

Nope, I don't think so.

3. tlester

tlester Member

Is there any place that has clips?

4. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

5. n8b

n8b Member

Those clips really don't do the Hot Cake justice. My favorite Hot Cake feature is that it doesn't compress the crap out of your signal and it responds well to volume changes. I recorded a friend's gig on my camcorder where he used a Hot Cake into a B├╝mbox Lead 50 pushing Greenbacks in an Avatar 2-12 open back. They are on the front page of my site if you want, check them out. I think they are a better representation of what the Hot Cake is capable of.

6. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Hahaha, clips sound pretty good, to bad the guitarist is such a hack!:D

7. erksin

erksin Member

Can any of you clear this up for me?

There are two versions of the regular Hot Cake as far as I can tell - first one was with the mid-lift toggle and the second is with the Presence control. Are they both buffered pedals? The Musictoyz site says the Presence knob model is true-bypass, and I'm guessing then a non-buffered unit - correct?

8. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

With music toyz, I think both of them have the prescence knob, the regular and the bluesberry, those are the only ones that they offer as far as I know, and I'm still waiting on my Bluesberry, after sending the first one back I've waited whats been like over a month to get a new one. As far as it being non buffered, I'm not sure.

9. erksin

erksin Member

Thanks for your reply, C!

I think the toggle model is an older version, no longer made.

Anybody else know if the Presence knob version is buffered..?

10. hipfan

hipfan Member

All Hotcakes are buffered. I've heard of guys sending a pedal back to Paul Crowther to get it modded to true bypass, but Crowther does not recommend this due to some details of the circuit. For what it's worth, I've never noticed any tone issues with the buffer in my Hotcake.

Oh, and mine is the Bluesberry version, with the mid-lift switch instead of the knob. I ordered it directly from Paul a couple of years ago that way. :) I believe that he will make the pedals in any combination of circuit/switch upon request.

11. dosmun

dosmun Member

THere are a few different Hotcake versions.

The Original
    The "Komet" or Presence mod version which has a little more presence.
    The Bluesberry

Originally they just came with the toggle then Paul change that to a Pot to control the Presence. If you ask, Paul can put a Toggle on them but I prefer the Pot as you can get all of the in between sounds as well.

12. erksin

erksin Member

Thanks for schooling me guys!

I actually want a buffered pedal, so that's one of the many reasons I've been interested in the HC.

13. hipfan

hipfan Member

The toggle has more mojo. :D

14. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

Middle-earth still yearns for web hosting. I believe he can get teletype formatted email over RTTY though. :rotflmao

15. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

All you have to do is email Paul, and he will reply. I've had my Cake for over five years. It replaced a Klon and many more pedals came and went as well. It's the only pedal that I have owned and played that sounds as if it is part of the amp, coming from the amp, and not something in front of the amp or riding on top of it. It can be a mild, transparent boost or take you to fuzztown. It's my main pedal. Don't have Paul's address handy, but it's out there. He will answer any questions promptly. I have the version with the presence knob--the toggle switch was the earliest version. Let us know if you snag one.

16. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Yep, I e-mailed Paul about pot scratchiness, he replied quickly with the solution, and all has been well ever since. Awesome pedal, great service. Strange he doesn't have a website, but I suppose it cuts down on e-mail traffic.

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I love my Hotcake. I'd had a standard model for years and after getting a few other flavors of pedals, wound up swapping it for the Bluesberry version. I'm still very happy. It's a great buffer, booster, responsive OD (gain at 12:00 cleans up great with decreased attack). My EL84 amp just loves it.

18. drolling

drolling Member

I read somewhere (here probably) that the HotCake's been around for 25 years - Is that really true?

If so, it makes the Klon look like a newcomer..

19. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

20. opiepac

opiepac Member

Mind sharing this solution? Mine are mildly scratchy, and I've just lived w/ it.