Hotcakes and KT66's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rubbersoul, Aug 10, 2008.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Does anyone have any experiences with this combination...I know they work great with EL84's and other Vox/Marshall variations...but this combination specifically? Would it work good...

Cheers

2. kakev

kakev Member

It has more to do with the voicing of the amp, not just the powertubes. Hotcake has worked with every amp I've used it with (Fender Twin Reverb, Hiwatt, Marshall JTM45, JMP50Mk2, Superbass, THD Bivalve etc).

3. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

For me hotcakes work better with darker sounding amps...sounded great with my ac30, orange ad30 and pretty damn good with jtm 45 (which had KT66's) but not as good a match with my Ampeg VT22 (7027's I think??) So the brighter my amp got - the less I used the hotcake. Still a great overdrive though - only overdrive that ever really worked with my orange.

4. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

5. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

I believe my Carr Mercury has KT-66's...or had at one point! Don't recall.
    Anyways, at this point it has become my "go to"overdrive pedal. Works great with the amp...
    Note: I have the Double Hotcake model which makes it even more versatile! Check it out if you get the chance. (One "side" is Hotcake and the other Bluesberry....and they can run in tandem).

6. ganttmann

ganttmann Member

My '74 Deluxe Reverb (6V6's w/ blackface mods) hated my Hotcake until I clipped the "bright switch" cap on my reverb channel volume pot. Easy mod, easily undone. Especially good to do if you play a tele or Strat. If you tend to run your volume above 5 or 6 the bright cap is barely affecting the sound anyway. Other than that it sounds great w/ any amp I play thru and i have an Underground 30 (EL84s) and a Fuchs modded Bassman (6L6s).

Gantt

7. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

Is the hot cake a low/med gain pedal or a med/high gain pedal? I'm looking for a pedal with more gain than my Barber LTD SR but a tad less than my OCD V.4.

8. kakev

kakev Member

Goes from very nice sounding clean boost to fuzz. For me the usefull range is from cleanboost to a medium gain. Reacts very very nicely to picking dynamics, play with a little softer touch and it's clean, hit it hard and u can get quite a bit overdrive. If I didn't use SS-3 as my low gain unit/soloboost, I would use Hotcake.