Hotone amp simulator, ok at line level in a rack setup?

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by blondestrat, Apr 15, 2019 at 7:18 PM.

1. blondestrat

blondestrat Supporting Member

I found one of these locally for a really good price, what you think for using with a lexicon? Doesn't look like I'll get stereo but at least I'll have some modern amp sims, as i use a dated roland gp100.

2. jordanyte

jordanyte Member

I saw/heard those demoed at NAMM two winters ago. I was actually blown away how awesome they sounded.

I also own a GP-100, and a GSP1101.

I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying a new toy (if you can afford it) yet at the same time I know you can pull great tones with the GP-100 if you spend the time.

iam_krash likes this.
  3. iam_krash

iam_krash Supporting Member

I'm just rediscovering my GP-100... Swiss army knife of routing, dual mono/stereo outputs that can be configured for series or parallel loops, latch switching.
    Pitch shifting is fantastic, about as good as eventides...my friend calls itithe poor man's H3000

4. swinginguitar

swinginguitar Member

your fx are stereo : your source doesnt have to be. feed those fx a mono signal and let them do the rest :)

doubt the hotone does line level....?

hydroquebec likes this.
  5. blondestrat

Ya my gp100 is dialed in, great amp simulator but I’m missing modern stuff like mesa boogie deizel n all that stuff. I’ll probably check out the pedal sometime, maybe the guy will let me try it out.

6. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I'm using an Atomic Amplifire box for amps and cab sims. I just send the line level signal into my splitter.

7. blondestrat

How are you using it and what’s your setup? I still want to use my lexicon for effects and it goes into my boss br 1600’s line level inputs in stereo. Maybe I can simply put the atomic in front of the roland?

8. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

What kind of Lexicon are we talking about here?

From what I understand, the BR1600 is a recorder, so it seems like you would go Amplifire -> Rack -> Recorder.

Ideally (and actually kinda required), it would be Amplifire -> Mixer -> Recorder, with the rack attached to the mixer. This allows you to run your rack in parallel to your dry signal.

9. blondestrat

Lexicon mpx g2. I am saving up for a mixer. At the moment my tack gors into the recorder’s line level inputs. I just play through headphones. I like this setuo because my recordings sound exactly the same as whem I’m playing. I do plan on getting a mixer soon. There’s a samson sm10 Used but he says the right channels meter lights don’t work, might just get a new one.

10. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

The G2 is a great device that actually has a pretty decent preamp and cab-sim, once you dial it in. It's also got that FX loop, so you can put another rack or pedal in there somewhere. Run that straight into your recorder and you've got something pretty cool going on.

Amplifire or whatever -> G2 would offer a lot more flavors and IR capability, but I think the input on the G2 is instrument level if I remember correctly?

The G2 in parallel with a mixer (SM10 is a great choice, Rane SM26S might work for you as well) is a true delay machine, if you're into that sort of thing. You can do everything with that thing.

11. JmpOne

JmpOne Member

Not sure why you'd need an external mixer with the G2. It has an analogue dry path through the post insert path. Most people seem not to enable it for some reason? See section 1:10 in manual.

12. blondestrat

Thanks I have it setup accordingly to the manual as using with an amp with an effects loop. It definitely sounds better at line level.
    I do have enough fir the mixer now, plus I have a roctron intellifex so I wanna get everything hooked up.

13. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

Running it in parallel unlocks a lot of good stuff. One could now include analog gain the a delay's feedback path, or apply any type of pre or post modulation to reverbs.

Sorry - yes much better with the line level outputs. I think the guitar input is instrument level. The inserts on the back should be line level, however.

14. JmpOne

JmpOne Member

It is still in parallel, but I see your point about putting the pre-gain/gain FX in the feedback loop.... I'm not sure what happens to the signal via the digital/gain feedback path when the insert is enabled to get the line signal into the unit. It's a complex unit sometimes!

15. blondestrat

I’m looking at a used samson sm10 but the guy says the right channel’s meter lights don’t work. He wants $80 and he’s around 100 miles away, probably a 2 hour drive..
    Should I look for another used one for $150 or get a new one for $200?