Hotone Ampero

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Jimmyno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

What us your serial number?

I have an early V1 1st generation S/N 05020000396

Last three times I applied Firmware updates, the screen just goes black right after the update is complete - recycle the power off/on launched normal with reported new firmware installed

2. CairnsFella

CairnsFella Member

..001429 and not a unit with any clock whine issues.

Maybe I shouldn't stress as otherwise its not a problem and each time the update has been applied perfectly well (exactly the same as you or any other guide has explained other than the screen being bright and coloured instead of dark).

Perhaps next update I will record and drop a line to Hotone just to be on the safe side.

The only other issue that I have had that seems to differ from others experience is that initial note glitch that I described previously. On that front it seems to be much less evident with guitar than it was for bass. And even for bass it was much more evident when 'testing' the Ampero at home, than playing with others. Whilst I might report it back if / when I report back the update issue, I'll probably otherwise live with it. Though I will still probably do a bit of a waveform analysis when I get round to setting it up in the music den.

3. Elantric

When Ampero is used for Bass - you might want try alternate Input select switch settings: "Acoustic" , or "LINE" which will impact the input sensitivity

4. Jielde

Jielde Member

Hi everyone, very happy with the V3.1 that also solves the fact that previously external footswitch settings were not saved .. now this is fixed...

A question: do you experience problems with footswitches that refuse to operate?
    I have the unit since one week... It happen once with FS2 for a while then ok for 2 days and now FS3 is not operative even after several reboots and a factory reset... I am a bit anxious....
    Any advice?
    Thanks!

5. Elantric

electrical switch contacts can go wonky

power off, then rapidly press and release the problem footswitch 20 times

this action often resurrects a bad footswitch, as the swich contact surfaces experience mechanical action which often removes any oxidation, solder flux, contamination which is heart of the problem

If the this issue does not clear up - consider a warranty return

Jielde likes this.
  6. Jielde

Jielde Member

Thanks, the switch is now working after 2 hours switch off and several tries... ( It was before receiving your advice...)
    I am afraid of this to happen during a gig...
    I am considering returning the unit a buy a helix Lt, much bigger and expensive...

Is contact cleaner & lubricant recommended?

7. Elantric

8. Gibby77

Gibby77 Member

what's your favorite amp cab & mic settings?
    Guitar used, volume pickup settings, etc?

For me:

Crunch/rythm patche

Guitar: Gibson les paul classic, volume pickup setted between 5/7 (bridge or neck)
    Amp: Jcm 800, gain 30, volume 50, presence 50, bass 50, mids 50, high 50,
    cab: UK green, (i want to check also the UK T75 4x12...i'll update you)
    mic: dynamic 57 , volume 50, X 45, Y 15, Z 75.
    Reverb: Plate, volume 20, all to 50
    input volume 0 dB
    Patch volume 50

Share your settings!!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    stonecold likes this.
  9. Elantric

https://facebook.com/groups/HotoneAmperoUsers/

slooky likes this.
  10. CairnsFella

CairnsFella Member

Well that's been keeping me pretty occupied for a few days. The whole impedance issue is a bit of a minefield when you dig into it** (though if I am honest, I think my memory is not so great anymore, as I feel as though I had done similar research a few years back).

I do have a question I would like to ask though (to anyone that can help, not yourself explicitly Elantric).

The Ampero does have switchable "output" settings - Inst and Line - however the manual does not identify any change in output impedance (or more specifically, it does not identify what this does at all). This 'could' just be a level (gain) change, but of course, that wouldn't really be a proper line / instrument switch. I am mainly surprised because the the input options provided are very clearly identified.

Edit. Just in case it appears otherwise. I do know that the outputs are specified at 3.2K Ohm. However, only this single impedance is quoted, which in itself is quite an unusual figure compared to other units. I am not suggesting there is an explicit standard, but it is way above typical line level signal impedance, yet rather low(ish) for a typical instrument level.

I suppose there is no reason anyone would have anymore information on this, but just in case I would be grateful to know a little more about the output level options.

** Note:- just to clarify. I was at that point referencing impedance as it relates to instruments, effects, mixers, and amplifiers in general. Not the Ampero.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  11. stonecold

stonecold Member

How did it affect the sound? Any noticeable differece?
    Sometimes linear PSU has great impact, but not always.

I'm about to spend some cash on linear PSU. Wouldn't that be a waste of money?

12. spiral

spiral Member

Yes: big difference. It didn't work at all—if it would even boot it would just play a whining sound. :D With digital stuff it will either work, not work, or it will work but you'll get lots of noise and/or interference.

For a power supply, I would be more concerned just getting one that will run all of your pedals. For me I'm using a few mA-hungry pedals so the T-Rex Goliath just barely has enough. I double up 2 outputs with a voltage doubler cable to run the Ampero (9v+9v = 18v @ 450mA) and that works perfectly. Without a voltage doubler I'm not familiar with any other power supply that has 18v and high current. The ones with a switchable voltage will usually halve the current to get you 18v.

13. stonecold

stonecold Member

It works perfectly = it works :)
    But how does it sound compared to Ampero original PSU?

I'm thinking on getting this one:
    https://amtelectronics.com/new/amt-fulcrum-ps-518v/

14. Elantric

The AMpero switchable Output Levels (Instrument level , Line level) provide a means to accommodate the input sensitivity of the target gear receiving the Ampero's Analog output signals

If feeding a Guitar Amp front Guitar input, set Ampero's output level to "Instrument" level

If feeding most Powered PA cabs, Mixers, etc, set Ampero's output level to "Line" level

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcar...ic-instrument-line-and-speaker-level-signals/

Audio Levels
    http://www.diyrecordingequipment.co...96-explain-like-i-m-5-audio-levels-podcast-11
    What's the difference between "pro" and "consumer" line levels?
    Is it ok to plug an instrument into a line level input?
    What's the difference between peak and RMS levels?
    [​IMG]
    https://sessionville.com/articles/signals-from-source-to-daw-part1

15. spiral

spiral Member

When I originally wrote it, I was using a single 18v, 250mA output which didn't work at all. Then I made a voltage doubler cable on 2 outputs and now that works fine but it's basically what the Ampero needs—18v @ 450mA. There should be no sonic difference in a digital pedal based on power supply—it should either work, or not work. Other than noise I'm not sure how a PSU would affect the sound of a digital pedal. Either way it sounds fine with the T-Rex or original PSU.

I don't know anything about AMT but it looks like the first output will power the Ampero. It will really depend on your whole pedalboard though. Will that power everything you have? AMT has very cool industrial design.

stonecold likes this.
  16. CairnsFella

CairnsFella Member

I must emphasise that I certainly do not wish to seem ungrateful as clearly you have put a fair effort into your response. But not really what I asked.

You have quite clearly explained what the functions are "for" but I was asking what selecting line or instrument on the Ampero actually 'does' explicitly.

To provide a point of comparison, "IF" Hotone had not stated "E.GT: 1M Ohms, A.GT: 4.7M Ohms, LINE: 10k Ohms" for the input impedance's, and said only "E.GT, A.GT, LINE". Then my question would have been "I am unable to establish what this input switch actually does". This would not mean that I didn't know I should change the switch to match the instruments, nor that I was unaware of the typical output spec of those devices. Indeed the answer would be (should anyone have known it) that the switch changes the impedance for each option from 1M to 4.7M to 10K Ohms.

No matter. If I get time I can probably get an approximation with some multimeter tests. I can certainly check resistance, which I know i'snt the same as impedance, but I should still get an approximation of what is happening on that front. It's only marginally more than curiosity on my part anyway.

PS. I also know I said "I would be grateful to know a little more about the output level options" and apologise if it was this sentence that prompted the response, but again I intended the question to refer to specific Ampero specifications, not 'output levels' in general (Not that I claim to otherwise be an expert). But thank you anyway.

PPS. See you have been over on the "Kemper Profiler Stage" thread. Most interesting. And an eye opener (though not surprising as such) that it has reached 36 pages since Friday (4 days), and this thread has reached 58 in 9 months!!! Still, I have always been one for the plucky underdog.

17. stonecold

stonecold Member

spiral, thank you. You saved my money ))
    My intention was to feed Ampero with clean power and get "more magic" from it.
    Otherwise I don't realy need multi-voltage PSU. I sold all my stuff after digging into digital world (except Marshall JVM 1C and delay pedal).

spiral likes this.
  18. Madala

Madala Member

On my Ampero the Instrument level has a higher output than Line level and I keep it set at that going into a powered FRFR. Not sure if it's reversed on the unit or some sort of user error.

Regardless, the Ampero has been my go to since I've gotten it. Great tone, feel, features, form factor, touch screen, ease of use ect... Very fun and inspiring to play with!

19. fallon

fallon Member

hello, i have an ampero for about a month and have two questions, im using it with valve amp (bugera v22 infinium) into amps return, so basically ampero is in the effects loop bypassing amps preamp. sounds killer. now the problems.
    1. ampero is EXTREMLY loud, with guitar input level at -14, main volume knob at about 5%, all patches must be about 3 - 5% volume to not break my ears - its possible to control main volume of the amp in the effects loop with some volume, one knob pedal?
    2. some of the DISTORTION pedals in ampero (tubescreamer, plexitron, rat, OCD etc..) simply don't work, even with gain at max its barely a crunch and sound is too muddy, flat, lifeless, why? AMP models sounds great, pedals don't. Lets say im using some fender, clean AMP model, put som DIST pedal in front and sound is dull. When I'm not using any amp, just DIST pedal sound is dull as well.
    Thanks!

20. Madala

Madala Member

Fallon,

Your amp does not have a master volume, so when you plug into the return you are essentially playing the amplifier at full volume - 22W in your case.
    The only way to control that is by lowering the volume on the device that you have plugged into the return - which is what you are doing.

You can try setting your amp to the cleanest and flattest setting possible, and plug the Ampero into the front of it (prob should disable the cab section of the Ampero for best results but always good to experiment). It may not be the most ideal setup for you sound wise, but you will see that you are able to set up the Ampero normally and control the volume of the amp with the volume knob.

Your second issue may be caused by the low guitar input level you set due to your first issue.

Try the first solution and then troubleshoot from there.

You may want to look into getting a powered monitor to use with the Ampero - there are lots of great options out there across all price points. That's how I run mine and I'm very pleased with the results.

Hope this helps.