Hotone Soulpress for AX8/Amplifire etc

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by TianJay, May 5, 2016.

1. TianJay

TianJay Member

I'm currently using a Plutoneium Chi Wah Wah with my AX8 and was considering replacing it with a Fractal EV1 to give me more flexibility but i really wasn't up for the size of the EV1. I was in a music store owned by a mate and was talking about it and he suggested the Hotone Soulpress... my concern was whether it would give me a full sweep of the range as my experience is that the AxeFX's can be a little 'fussy'...

I gotta say, this thing is awesome! It is very small (which suits me perfectly), it calibrated perfectly to sweep the entire range and it feels really great. It has a 3 way switch Volume/Wah/Expression so you can use it for whatever you like, but for me, the Expression function means that i don't need to use a power supply and in turn it increases the functionality of the AX8 over using my Chi Wah Wah.

So if anyone is in the market for a compact Wah/Expression pedal, definitely check out the Soulpress!

2. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I like the size of the Hotone, but is the sweep exaggerated because of the small size? I know my mini cry baby had a much wider sweep because the rocker could move a lot further being smaller.

3. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I use a Hotone Soulpress in wah mode on my pedalboard, but as I'm getting closer to replacing the board with my Helix, I've been thinking of pulling it off there to use as an expression pedal (currently using the Line6 EX-1)... I actually prefer the feel and sweep of the Soulpress to the EX-1; the compact size is just a bonus. It makes a perfectly serviceable live wah ime, btw...

4. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

I bought one of these a few weeks back. I haven't tried using it as a controller for the AX8 yet. But it works really great as a Wah pedal.

5. partytrain

partytrain Member

This is great to know. I might be in the market for one of these.

6. TianJay

TianJay Member

Not that i've noticed particularly, it feels reasonably natural however i should state that i haven't gigged with it yet so how it goes in a live situation may be different...
    The only thing i'm finding is even though i've got it set to automatically turn on/off my AX8 Wah, i have to not get too over zealous and inadvertently hit the toe switch which turns it off... I've been using optical (switchless) wahs for over 15 years so i have to just remember to take it easy. :D