Hotplate and Impulse responses

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by shredtheater, Feb 16, 2012.

1. shredtheater

shredtheater Member

Im using IRs for recording my guitar into logic. Im playing through a boogie MKIV and using the redwirez IR's for the cab sims through there MixIR2 player. Basically, ive been going from the slave out of my amp straight into my apogee one and then applying the IR's. Only problem is that my amp is still very loud that i might as well just mic it up.

Ive been thinking of picking up a hotplate and using this to run the signal from the amp to my apogee whilst being able to control the volume. I theory i believe i can run my amp flat out but effectively silent (for late night recording) if i wanted. Any experiences with this and how the hotplate works in this scenario??

2. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Use the line out from the Hot Plate, but it's weird. The switches on the hot plate work just the opposite on the line out so you'll have to adjust your tone with your monitors and IR plugin. It's easier to use an amp model.

3. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

No experience with the hot plate, but I use a weber mass for the same thing. It sounds fantastic. Check out the clips here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxsKliMSH-A

The weber mass can be turned down to be totally silent, AND at ZERO it provides a speaker load so you can use it without even plugging in your cab. I always plug in the cab, just in case, but it's barely audible.