Hotplate.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Rastaman was good enuff to let me try out his 16 ohm Hotplate. Thanx Dude.

Anyone have any suggestions or cautions as to its use.

Gonna stick it on my 1959 HW and Matching Cab.

I dont need to throttle it down from wide open with the Parkhead Mod I've got mine sounding good at low volumes. Its still a little bit to loud for band practise.

Gotta love tha Marshall Sound.

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

No problem, I just want to hear how it sounds :JAM !

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Test it beforehand..go to practice 1/2 hour early.

The hotplate changes your tone (I don't care what others say), so get it up to volume and see if you need the 'deep' and/or 'high' buttons. I don't use them, but YMMV.

Also there will be a sweet area where you have your amp up, and the level of attenuation. It might be 12 o'clock on the marshall, and 8db attenuation...you just have to tinker.

EP

4. markp

markp Member

I go for 4 db with 50 watters 8 db 100 watters.low settings I dont use treb or bass boost on the plate,but do try the bulbs on and off to see what you like.

5. john archer

john archer Member

Hey Red Planet...How does your amp sound compared to an actuall '69 plexi? I am considering one.

Thanks,

John

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I just got one to use with my Elmwood Modena. As of tomorrow, that will be put into an Avatar Premium w/Blues.
    Testing thus far has been into a Bogner Shiva 1-12 cab. Fantastic results! The tone does not change all that much if you invest a little tweaking. I always thought that it was going to suck tone etc.... This is an indespensable device imo.
    I have always been a freak about tonal purity and I am happy to use this in my rig. M.E.

7. rastaman

rastaman Member

The suspense is killin' me Red....... :dude

8. gulliver

gulliver Member

I recommend that you don't start out by playing the amp loud, turning the volume down with the attenuator thereafter. Start at -8db attenuation with the bass and treble boost off, then turn your amp up to a desired volume. This way, you can judge your tone from a fresh perspective. If you start loud and reduce volume, you will always hear the attenuated tone as being "less than" ... just a psychoacoustic thing.

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

Is this a joke? ... turning the bulbs off doesn't turn the noise reduction off, does it?

10. rastaman

rastaman Member

This is copied and pasted off THD's site:

Built-in Noise Reduction
    The THD Hot PlateĀ® is the only attenuator on the market with built-in noise reduction to reduce the hiss and hum between notes. We've designed a passive, single-ended noise reduction system which provides approximately 10 dB of broad band noise reduction without gating or pumping, and without affecting the tone of the amp. A by-product of the noise reduction circuit is that it generates light as you play. The harder you play, the brighter it glows.

11. markp

markp Member

There is a differant feal ,I like the bulbs on for most stuff but there is a tighter differant sound with bulbs off.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

John its a great Amp if not a little too much Amp hence the Hot Plate.

I havent had the pleasure of comparing it side by side to a 69. Though last summer I got to hear Nickcha's 68 1987 Plexi and let me tell you there is no comparison. The 68 kills this thing. It has a much sweeter sound on the cleans but mine has this sustain for days dirty sound that is equall to if not better than it but I love those sweet cleans more than anything else. My Balls M-18 has that sweetness.

So far its working pretty cool. I like it on -12 and the Marshall Dimed (I said I wouldnt do this). Pretty cool little deal. I couldnt notice much tonal difference. Of coarse after 3 Beasley Agave Specials I might have missed something. I'll crank her up in the morning as soon as the boss lady leaves. :D :dude

I have four freaking days in a row off. Gonna do some Amp cranking.

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

This statement doesn't mean that turning the lights off turns the noise reduction off. I'm not saying you're wrong as I never turned them off, I just think the switch is there for the visual only.

Usually Ed chimes in and saves the day around now ... turn on the bat-light.

14. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I notice that the attack is softened when I have the light turned on. Sort of like an amp that has the capability to switch between Pentode and Triode mode. This unit is really useful. M.E.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

As its worded here the light is part of the NRC.

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

The light is def cool. :RoCkIn

17. rastaman

rastaman Member

The first time I read it, I thought the light is part of it. If you think about though, " a product of " could just be the end result of a function of the NR feature... not affecting tone. But being in the circuit, it seems it would be part of it.

Where's Ed??....

18. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

It is though. The bulbs ARE the noise reduction.

19. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Where am I? Home sick for the last 3 days.
    I dunno about not affecting the tone of the amp. It does roll off top end with the noise reduction on.
    That said, I usually prefer the bulbs on when I use the bright boost and vice versa.

20. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Sorry your sick dude. Hope you get well soon.