Hotrodded Tweed or Brown Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GTRJohnny, Feb 3, 2012.

1. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

It seems like most of the Dumble and other customizations are being done to Blackface amps, but you don't see a lot of Tweed or Brown amps with things like...

• Reverb
    • Master Volume
    • Additional Gain Stages
    • Midrange Controls

I know people tighten up Tweeds or add bigger transformers (Tungsten and the like). I also know that they do add-on reverbs. But, that's not what I'm talking about. When was the last time you saw a Tweed faceplate with a reverb, master, or mid control built in?

It's the same with Brown amps. Sure, there's the VibroVerbs with reverb. But, no one has done it to a Brown Deluxe. Or have they? I know Red Plate and some other companies have EQ's with Brown and Tweed settings, but what else is out there?

Please post links to companies that are doing custom Tweed and Brown based amps... Thanks!

2. Justis

Justis Member

http://www.quinnamp.com/derbyamp.htm
    I'm not sure if Shad will do reverb, but I have a custom Derby with an excellent master volume and a voicing switch. Get in contact with him and see what he can do for you.

3. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Hot rodded tweeds became marshalls. :D

4. mbargav

mbargav Member

IMO, most of charm of a Tweed is the simplicity of the circuit, so why mess with it?

5. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

BTW Greer and Z both have some amps in the 'brown' realm.

Greer Special 20 and DrZ Z28 come to mind as very brown sounding.

6. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Hahaha!! :) So true! But, even they didn't put bloody verb in them! ;)

7. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I have and he will. He might be the only one who is dialed into Brown amps to a really high level. Others do amps with Brown added as a spice, but not as the main ingredient. Shame, really...

8. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

You're right. I think the Tweed Deluxe is an icon for pure great tone, without needing much else. I have always thought the Brown Amps were helped with reverb. But, there was only one made with it.

Maybe I need to pursue having a Brown VibroVerb made that will take 6V6's? ;)

9. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Neither has trem... IMO the Brown trem is a big part what makes a Brown amp special. Without it, you lose the magic of what those amps are.

Pedals get close for 99% of the people. Except for old saps like me that grew up with that trem. It's the sole reason I haven't bought an Allen Brown Sugar... :(

10. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

I think the transformers and "Prescence" control also played a HUGE part in the brownface and Blonde Tolex Fender amps. I have a Nocturne Blondeshell amp that is based off of a 6G6-B Bassman Normal channel with reverb and has been slightly hotrodded!

I would LOVE a Quinn Derby someday if I can't find a good 6G3 down the road!

11. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

A good on board trem is a thing of beauty. I love the old Brown amps. I should have hung on to the ones I've owned.

12. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I would'nt mind a gain control on my tweed super that went to 12.