Hotter pickups for the EJ Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SFT, Aug 8, 2006.

1. SFT

SFT Member

I was wondering if anyone might recommend a few different pickups for the EJ strat that are a bit hotter/higher output, while still retaining a strat sound when played clean. I guess I'm looking for a ripping lead tone and good crunch when overdriven, but still sounding like a strat, chimey and crisp when clean.

I like the EJ pickups clean, but they didn't grit up enough when overdriven. Didn't play it with any pedals(thru a bogner shiva with the OD cranked), so maybe that might take care of it (I have a Fulltone OCD, Bad Monkey, and TS-9), but I don't really wanna take all my pedals into the music store.

any suggestions are welcome. Has anyone heard the noiseless pickups in the beck strat? I can't find a store that carries one to compare, but I wonder if they're a bit hotter.

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I really like the Fralin Steel Pole, although I haven't used it in a Strat- it's a kickass pickup.

3. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I swapped out the pups on my EJ for this exact reason. I liked the tone, just not enough output. I ended up with a Rio Grande Muy Grande bridge, Duncan SSL-5 Custom staggered middle, and Rio Grande Half Breed neck. IMO, I think it accomplished my mission. Same general tone as the EJs, just louder.

4. SFT

SFT Member

dzeitlin,
    so how did you "test" out those pickups? I'm trying to figure out a way to try before I buy. The best approach I can come up with, is get some recommendations from the awesome people in this forum and then find some stock strats that have said pickups and plug them in and compare. I can't imagine buying pickups without hearing them first.

5. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

I just installed some Bill Lawrence noiseless pickups in my American Series strat for the same reason - I found the originals weren't "ballsy" enough. I'm lovin these new pickups and I'm using this strat for lots more stuff than I was using it before. And the best part is that they still sound great for clean stuff, even in the 2 and 4 positions. I got a set with L-280s in the neck and middle, and an L-290 at the bridge.
    I think the SCN noiseless pickups which come standard in the Deluxe strats may be similar to these pickups, but I could be wrong on that.

6. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

Well, if you want to try out the Rios, you'll have to find a Robin dealer (Rio and Robin are the same company). I had the Rios in another strat, so I knew what to expect. I use the DC resistance and resonant peak as a general ballpark, and I also check the manufacturers description (sometimes I call and talk to their reps), and also the descriptions on HC are helpful.

7. KLB

KLB Member

Have you tried raising them closer to the strings?

8. SFT

SFT Member

klb,
    have not tried that. Haven't even bought the EJ yet, just played it in the store. Was just curious to hear some thoughts before I go and spend that amount of $$ on a guitar that I'm not totally blown away by the pickups.

9. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

This helps a little, but not much. they are vintage output pickups.