House next door sold and the want to build a garage

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sixty2strat, Apr 12, 2015.

1. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

My neighbor sold their house and they surveyed the property as the new owner wants to build a garage. Not against in principal but cautious as to what and where they will build it. I'm sure any objection will make for bad blood, but don't want an eyesore or very old shade trees cut down. I imagine I'm worrying too much I hope but what happens next door affects your lands value and up the street a fence was put up that every one was cool about but ended up looking like **** and more check point Charlie then pool fence. Also leery as the owner is in the construction biz and wonder if it will be more a storage space then garage. I'm calling the zoning people on Monday to learn the process and if I have any say. So curious any experience or advice on how to handle this.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  2. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Well, it is his property, but the tear down syndrome is a bit outa hand. Right before we left chicago our next door neighbor tore down a very cool 3 bedroom house in order to rebuild so that she could have a two car garage. They built out to about six foot of their property left and right... Very small front and back yard. Seemed a shame, but it wasn't my money she was spending.

3. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

What's a two bedroom garage? :huh

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Lol... I have issues with proof reading and thinking faster than my one finger can type. Corrected.

5. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

You really have no say unless there are convenant guidelines that need to be followed and he violates them. I would just get to know them and see whats brewing in the noggins..
    and of course be aware of the setback and or discuss it.

6. rolsen

rolsen Member

You can look up your setback requirements and other code restrictions and make sure they follow. If the setback is, say minimum 10' from property boundary and you see them going closer, call it in. Same goes for sq footage, height etc.

7. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Buy him a nice "Welcome, new neighbor!!!" gift basket.

8. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness

Live, and let live

Love thy neighbor

Don't be a Dick

...all good words to live by ;)

9. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

This is exactly what our new neighor did when i was a kid
    His part of the grass between our houses became a cemented parking lot
    for his construction trucks, and his front lawn became a circular driveway
    for all his other vehicles, there were many

But if their are no laws or HOA rules against, its his house

If it really bothers you, sell now, if you think hes going to put somethig up that lowers the value

But a lot of time it doesnt lower the value, but may affect the number of buyers that purchase your house.
    I couldnt care less if my neighbor has a 3 car garage, work bay, would like to have one myself :dude

10. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

See now in residential neighborhoods there has to be limits on what % of the property if any can be developed for operating a small business.
    If I was on less than a 3rd of an acre and my neighbor the same and he decided to make a driveway for vehicle thru way to his shop and parking area I would think I might take issue with it depending and only depending on the situation. Now some residential areas are spaced out to where it might never become an issue nor might it ever be controlled. Zoning commission does sound like your best resource after you get to know whats going on next door. Hopefully your new neighbor is both practical and reasonable and has the same ideas as to whats reasonable as you and the majority and the zoning board most importantly.

11. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

I don't know where you live but, here in beautiful Montreal, you can't do what you want with your house and property. There are a lot of rules from the town planners and the city. It's almost like they own your property!

I took me 6 months last year to finally have the OK and the license to build a pool and put some grass and flowers.
    I had to make and remake plans to respect the HUNDREDS of rules!
    It's crazy, but it has a goal: keep the neighbourhood homogeny and keep the values of the properties.
    Maybe there are some rules like that in your part of the world. They should respect them to build something that will respect the neighborhood and not devaluate your properties.
    You should get some info from your city about that.

12. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

"The want to build a grage".

13. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

My advice is to make friends with your neighbors and they will want to ensure you are ok with what they do and, importantly, they are more likely to return the favor when the shoe is on the other foot.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  14. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

This is all good until a Dick moves in next door...LOL
    But never jump the gun and prejudge I say until you know who your dealing with.

15. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Probably raise the value of the rest of the houses in the hood.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

What about if you buy a house next door to a Dick??? Sounds to me like the OP should've bought the property himself if he wanted that much control over it - just sayin'...

- georgestrings

17. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

Glad the OP isn't my neighbor. Sounds like someone who doesn't have anything better to do than interfere with other people's business.

18. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Yes, it goes both ways

19. Greentone

Greentone Member

20. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Just East of Venice Beach a two bedroom garage is a garage that is being rented to two musicians (usually drummers) for the purposes of residence and weed smoking.