Hovland Musicap vs RS for Les Paul wiring?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by beNsteR, Feb 12, 2008.

1. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

hi.

i'm considering upgrading the pots and caps in my 2001 R7 les paul.

has anyone tried Hovland Musicaps for this application before?

i can get them easily at my local hifi/tube store,
    vs getting the RS Jensen caps (shipping them here almost costs more than the caps themselves)

how would they compare?

i intend to use .15 for neck, .22 for bridge.

thanks!

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

RS used Hovland Musicaps for years before the Jensen thing came about.

Generally speaking, any high grade cap at the beginning of the signal chain will improve clarity. Honestly, I prefer either the Hovland or Audience Auricap to the Jensen. They are some of the best caps you can buy at any price.

3. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

thanks for the quick reply s2, much appreciated :D

guess i'll be checking the Hovlands out..

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I have Hovlands in four Gibsons and one Fender. I can hear the difference, the improvement in sound from the stock caps.

Some folks on this forum poo-poo the Hovlands, and I suspect that most that do have never tried them for themselves. They are pricey, but worth it to my ears. Like I've said before - The Tone Tells The Tale!

5. mainsale

mainsale Member

+1 for the Hovelands. I've been switching out the ceramic caps in all of my guitars to primarily the Hoveland tonecaps and I'm very pleased with them. There is an improvement in clarity that can be heard.

:AOK

6. rooster

rooster Member

I generally use paper-in-oil caps for tone caps in guitars. This is my theory: a cap like a Hovland is TOO perfect and even. It's a great coupling cap, but a guitar tone control is not a coupling cap, it's a shunt cap. Now, paper-in-oil caps are not as transparent, they tend, when hooked up as a coupling cap, to "smooth" out the signal a tiny bit. This translates to a tiny bit of high-frequency rolloff. Since the circuit is a shunt, the highs don't quite roll off as much really high frequencies as the Hovland would. Therefore, you get a bit of sparkle that doesn't quite go away as the tone control is rolled down. This comes out of the amp as a "growl" that, to me, other caps just don't get.

Whatever is a normal characteristic of a particular capacitor is reversed when you wire it as a shunt. Think about it. Ceramic caps sound muddy as hell when you roll down the tone control. Why? Well, when they're hooked up as a coupling cap, they sound brittle. This means that a lot of mids aren't getting through, but the lows and highs are coming through, pretty "harshly". Now, if it's wired as a shunt, the mids aren't being dumped to ground as effectively, but the highs go right through to ground. So, your guitar output sounds like mud.

Does this make sense? I know my ears aren't lying when I roll that bridge tone control back to 3 or 4 and get that nasty fat growl with my vitamin Q caps on my Heritage's.

rooster.