How a change of guitar can make you love your pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DanHorse, Jan 28, 2012.

1. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Good grief. for the last year and a half I have been steadily building up my board. I know there are some great sounds available from it, but i have been discontent, things were not gelling being fed my MIM tele into the Orange TT.

Then my Tele deleloped a fault, so picked up my PRS replica guitar with humbuckers - after i hadnt played it for about 3 years.

OH man! my board sounds GREAT, the tones are spot on for what i was chasing with my Tele. How cruel! I love teles and strats but maybe this set up just wants humbuckers.... but i love singel coils!

What to do...

Any similar experiances?

2. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

setup coil tapping on prs guitar

3. TwinkleDaddy

TwinkleDaddy Member

get a G&L Asat. I think that guitar sounds amazing "effected". Also, older Les Paul's take pedals well.

4. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I actually had the opposite experience. I love my Strat with my pedals and it sounds great but when I got my Les Paul, I felt like I needed to run it with no pedals into a Cranked amp.

5. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Im perplexed myself, I think its the TT not liking my tele, sounds too stiff with it and the G12H30 too shrieky with dist & fuzz. Whereas the humbuggy guitar is reigning it all in and smoothing it.

Maybe a different amp needed for my single coil vintage tones...hmm

6. 66Park

66Park Member

Perhaps you love humbuckers as well.

7. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

I couldn't agree more. Not that long ago I bought a Les Paul with p-90s and a Bigsby and between the tone and crazy sustain its the guitar I've always been looking for.

8. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

Get two pedal boards set up. That's what I ended up doing because I got tired of tweaking depending on whether I use a strat or a les Paul.

9. No.9

No.9 Member

Pickups make a pretty big difference, I prefer lower output pickups with pedals or higher output pickups when going straight into the amp.

10. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Yeah, ive been sorting out my pedals, will do a separate one for vintage tones and the tele.

The thing is, its like the low output pups on my tele dont like any of my muffs and higher gain pedals.

11. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Deluxe Tele with 'buckers

12. npfrs

npfrs Member

Been using a '79 SG with burst-buckers, sounded good, a little "dull" maybe... recently got a Cabronita tele with filtertrons - BAM! Whole new rig just like that!

13. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

14. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Try another Tele - there is a lot of variation between Fender guitars, especially MIM IMO - some kickass, others are POS. My custom guitar can get 'stratty,' but I sometimes miss the real thing still, even though there is absolutely nothing spectacular about any Fender build really (meaning the mechanics of the guitar).

15. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I find every guitar sounds better/worse/different with every single piece of gear be it an amp, a pedal or a modeller.

You just need to mentality categorise which settings go with which rig and you'll be fine.

I love my strat for cleaner more bluesy stuff but my mahogany dual HB guitar for heavier, more rocky stuff.

They all have their place.

16. Led Sabblin

Led Sabblin Member

A non EMG guitar makes me like fuzz a lot more

17. sick1982

sick1982 Member

Yes, guitars and pickups can make a LOT of difference.

Most high gain pedals I own seem to sound best with high output humbuckers. Overdrives seem to either like medium output humbuckers or single coils (but most do not seem to like both). Clean boost also for single coils. Most fuzz pedals love single coils, although some are great with humbuckers too. I also had active blackouts for a while, and not a single pedal liked these.

I currently own a The Heritage les paul model with SD 59's, an Ibanez RGA with SD Distortion's, a Fender strat with '69 CS's, and a Fender tele with AM Std's. I must say that for a majority of the time, I either grab for my Ibanez, or my tele. I'm thinking to either sell the strat to buy a HSS one, or upgrade it to an HSS one.

18. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I LOVE my Strat, but the truth is the P90's on my LP really make pedals come much more alive much easier. Wished I had kept one of the many autowahs I have sold that the Strat really could push very well.

19. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Guys like Kit Rae can get amazing tones from Gilmour gear and those DG sig strat pickups arent that hot in output apart from maybe the SSL-5. Maybe they are hot enough to keep hold of the gain where my lower output stock telepups cant eh?