How a hurdy gurdy works video

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by EADGBE, Mar 13, 2018.

1. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

2. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Funny coincidence, I watched this vid, and a few other HG vids over the past couple of weeks. I've got a passing interest in some of these old instruments. Have a listen to Kathryn Tickell playing the Northumbrian pipes. Killer, she got an OBE for her efforts, among a load of other stuff.

3. hillin

hillin Member

I've made a simple toy model months ago, spent three weekends to get it done.
    When I can finally get my hands on it to play...

Gee it was the sound from hell.

It's like this (official photo):
    [​IMG]

Tony Done likes this.
  4. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I looked up Ugears. Nice, adult jigsaw puzzles. :)

5. Seorie

Seorie Member

It's an expressive valid musical instrument - with fantastically rich history from many parts of Europe, lots of interesting scales and modes not to mention the capability of going micro-tonal / just intonation.
    Sadly in some circles it seems to be an 'ethnic' folk instrument 'to be seen with' over the past few years along with the Nyckelharpa and Hardanger fiddle only to be used as a simplistic 'droning' backdrop. My daughter said she was going to a gig and that someone was playing a HurdyGurdy - I showd her some clips from HG festivals that still go on in Europe with many fine playrs - she was excited at the prospect of hearing such music in person - alas it was used as described above - as a stage prop droning away on a simple note.
    just some thoughts

Bluedano1 likes this.
  6. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Interesting Instruments, very cool sound and construction/operation, but honestly ( just me!) like bagpipes, hearing two songs would be my tolerance!

7. Seorie

Seorie Member

ye canny say that Dano -:eek:
    u’ve just no heard the good stuff -
    my daughter and I were at this recital @ the piping centre in Glasgow - the building, an old church left the planet

Bluedano1 likes this.