How about a "big maker - clone" thread?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by doc, Dec 16, 2009.

1. doc

doc Member

I've found a number of amps that are "very similar, if not identical to" other amps. Please use this thread to help index the list. Some examples to get you started:

Marshall JCM 800 = Peavey Butcher = Laney Pro Tube = Sovtek MIG 60

Trainwreck Express = Two Rock Ruby = Fuchs Train 45

Marshall Plexi = Traynor Bass Master

Before you post your rebuttals, I realize that these are NOT clones of each other (for the most part), but are clearly similar circuits with somewhat similar sounds. I also see no need to list deliberate clones, like Ceriatone OTS = Dumble ODS -- duh. If you have superior knowledge of the circuits of some of these similar amps and want to correct something, feel free. I'd especially like to hear of amps that are overlooked and cheap that are close or can be tweaked to be very similar to a more desirable amp.

2. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

For the most part, these items have been discussed in prior threads to death really...

3. RyanFromQA

RyanFromQA Member

Don't tell anyone, but I heard that early JTM45 are virtual clones of a Fender Bassman!:eek:

Shocking, I know. ;)

4. doc

doc Member

True, but it would be nice to have one "reference thread" you could go to if you were in the market for a specific type sound and wanted some lower cost options. Usually this type info is buried in the middle of some other discussion.

5. doc

doc Member

If there already IS a thread that gives a good synopsis of this info, please post a link and we can let this thread sink into oblivion (like so many of my threads). Fortunately, I DID start the everlasting Fender/Rivera Concert thread...

6. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

I heard Leo got his amp circuits from a radio book!

7. RyanFromQA

RyanFromQA Member

HOGWASH!