1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How about a 'clean channel' pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soundhound, May 19, 2011.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

As in the clean channel of a Two Rock Custom. There are tons of pedals that go after the OD channel of a D style amp, but what about the clean channel? That's actually the sound I like best out of those amps. That rich, detailed clean, with the notes having plenty of body and richness and dimension. Totally clean, or with just a little hair.

Is there a pedal that can take, say a fairly flat sounding reissue Twin (or some clean amp without much personality in the sound, say...) and turn into that gorgeous Two Rock clean? Now THAT would be a pedal!

2. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

Something like the Tech 21 Sansamp Character Series? With the ability to go in the front instead of the effects return? That would be neat.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

There are clean-sounding pedals out there, but the problem is getting around the inherent character of the amp you run them into. Adding dirt (even a slight amount) that emulates a different amp is much easier in that regard.

If you bypass the amp's preamp section (by, for instance, plugging a Tech21 Character pedal into the effects return jack), the pedal would have a more neutral playing field.

4. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

That would be the way to do it.

Or just crank the amp up a bit, and use an EQ pedal as an attenuator to lower the input level a bit so it won't clip. That way it will be 'clean', but still have that edge & body which is what makes particular amplifiers' clean channels sound really good. Try it.

5. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Ethos has a VERY nice clean D-style sound.

7. tibbon

tibbon Member

I know how to do it.

Take any pedal, plug it into a Two Rock, and click the bypass button. Now it sounds like a Two Rock :)

8. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Define the clean sound of a Two Rock? Did you ever think that the Two Rock could be a copy of a Fender or a JC120? It's just like the original Marshall amp was based off of a Fender Bassman.

I've never owned a Two Rock, but I do own a Fender Twin and a Roland JC120, both very clean amps. Some of the characteristics of a clean sound is also based on the speakers being used, and even the effects that musicians use. A compressor can make a big difference in a clean sound, and so can the type of pickups being used. Just saying.

9. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

As was mentioned earlier, the Ethos has this quality, so does a Kingsley Juggler, even a gained-down Menatone Howie. There are pedals that are at least designed to this (for better or worse).

10. tibbon

tibbon Member

In my experience the different models can sound *very* different from each other. I played one Two Rock that I just didn't bond with. It was too clean and open for me on the clean channel. The other channel was great, but just trying to get a great clean sound that I really felt didn't work as easily as I hoped.

Then I played another and my jaw hit the floor when I hit the first chord. I was sitting in a room of some of the best amps available and this blew them all away. Any setting and it was great. I was playing a Tele.

I don't think words articulate the sound all that well, but it sounded like the guitar that I was playing, with all the bloom, grit, transparency, harmonics, etc that you'd ever want... but still keeping it really nice and clean.

11. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

Ethos TLE. The clean channel on this unit is amazing and worth buying it for that tone alone.

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Your best bet is to experiment with speaker selection, and setting your tone knobs.
    Try adjusting your T and M controls with the B completely on zero, then add bass to taste.
    The speaker itself is a powerful EQ tool.

13. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

lovepedal super 6...emulates a fender super reverb with vol/treble/bass on 6

14. Psh511

Psh511 Member

It has already been mentioned a bunch in this thread but the Ethos's clean channel is so good that I would be happy with it as a stand alone pedal

15. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Thanks guys. I'd heard about the clean channel on the Ethos, Fender Super 6, there's also the Gtrwks 1963. A pedal into the effect return sounds like an interesting idea, I'll give that a shot.

But all in all, that kind of clean, (big, open, airy, with plenty of body yet clarity to the notes) seems like it's harder to emulate than the OD channel, and the only way to get it is through that particular amp.

16. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

What do people think of the Juggler in this capacity?

Isn't the Bad Cat 2 Tone set up as two channels, one clean and one overdrive?

17. Improbable Joe

Improbable Joe Member

Yep... I've got an old TRI-A.C. that does that.

18. Progbusters

Progbusters Member

19. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

This combined with a good compressor. The best clean amp pedal combo hands down.

20. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

Keeley Katana or Tim set to attenuate the signal maybe? Farndurk has a few pedals that offer an "afterburner"'attenuator system that would totally lighten the load on the preamp tubes. I have one on my JoMama/model 7. Works great into the high gain channel of my Budda Twinmaster.