How about an OCD with a bass control?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gang twanger, Jun 9, 2008.

1. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Just like it says.
    I think that the OCD ver.4 could be the end all/be all of OD/Distortion pedals, if it only had a bass control, or even a bass-cut. Active bass control/cut?
    What do you think?

2. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

No one ever seems to like this suggestion (I wouldn't really, either), but you could always just stack the OCD with an EQ to take out some of the lows.

If you want to be able to turn them on and off at the same time, you can throw them in a TBP loop. Saves wear and tear on the more valuable pedals, anyway.

;)

3. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I still would prefer not to add another circuit into it. You know? Keep it as pure as possible. Just understand, I know very little about electronics, especially the non-transistor stuff.
    I would just prefer to have less bass without having to lower the bass control on the amp or kick on some other pedal. I don't really like using EQ pedals, and as good as my Throbak Overdrive Boost is at re-EQ'ing my OCD, I would rather use it for OD or fuzz.

4. funkycam

funkycam Member

I have been debating this as well.
    I love the mids of my OCD (I have v1) & wish the bass was tamed a little but everything I read says that the later models sound very different.
    There are schematics out there for the OCD, check 1/2way down the page here
    http://www.buildyourownclone.com/bo...sid=e8dbf0ad9bfd40822fa25b1c071c21cf&start=25

If you look @ the explanation, seems like you could just change the value of the input cap & that would alter the bass, or put a switch in to try a few ala many wah mods..

5. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Oh, I totally understand where you're coming from. I personally have flipped several pedals just because the tone control wasn't doing it for me. It was just a suggestion for a work-around, if the OCD was really the perfect pedal for you otherwise.

6. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I have a version 4, and aside from the bass issue (if I play through a nice, bassy Fender amp), I'm totally satisfied with the sound of it. It would have to be a high quality, true-bypass EQ pedal. The Overdrive Boost has a great EQ, but like I said, I have other uses for it.
    My Dean Evo SS has a lot of that "Les Paul" bottom-end. And with the Seth Lovers, it's got beef.

7. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I think this might be another situation where the Catalinbread Varioboost would do the trick. It's a very simple EQ/Boost that allows you to pick the frequency to cut or boost. Not only would it likely solve your OCD problem, you could use it to get a lot of other unique sounds as well. And it's definitely true bypass.

8. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I've been eyeing that thing for awhile. I love the Pro Guitar Shop demo for it. Can it cut or add bass, without adding any dirt?

9. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i'm with you on the bass cut. i love the OCD i have (v 3 i think) but it gets super woofy real quick if you're not careful. teh Tone control is great, but i usually leave it at 12.00 as it doesn't seem to have much effect at all on the lower frequencies.

10. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Yep! Here's what erskin, who works at Catalinbread, wrote me over at the Tone Factor forum:

" I think the amount of boost is around 25dB or so, the preamp actually comes from the Semaphore believe it or not.

It has less headroom than an SCP for example, so it dirties up quicker. It basically heads into low gain dirt territory beginning around 2:00 or so - this is how it is able to get those convincing treble booster/cranked small tube amp tones. Unity volume is at the minimum Gain setting, so it's all clean boost from there until about 2:00 like I said.

If you set the Boost/Cut knob to center (there is a detent in the pot so you can't miss it) you remove the EQ portion of the pedal so you could use it as a clean boost, but what's the fun in that - right..?"

11. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

How about a Mid Control...That's all the pedal needs