How about some Ibanez love - Most underrated? Let’s see yours

wraub

I have two atm, both Roadstar II basses, both five string, both from '85.
I used to have a Musician bass, still miss it.

Bass Butcher

I got one of these 2007 Indonesian builds a few years ago for 125 bucks CAD because it needed a complete disassembly for cleaning. It looked like it had spent a few years sitting in a brake shop or something, all the cavities were full of carbon dust. It was fully functioning and in very good cosmetic shape though.
As well as being a great 'out of the box' player it had the sweetest tremolo/bridge I have ever seen, the ZR 'zero point' system. Really a stellar shredder and it sold in a day for 450, the buyer being more than happy to pay my asking price after trying it out for literally a few minutes.

Attachments

• 2007 S620EXQM.png
    2007 S620EXQM.png
    247.4 KB · Views: 9

Bass Butcher

I have two atm, both Roadstar II basses, both five string, both from '85.
I used to have a Musician bass, still miss it.
I recently got a Greco GOB 900, which is the same as the single coil Musician but with humbuckers. They are going to have to pry it out of my cold dead hands, lol
I'd love to get a mid 80's Roadstar II, stellar basses. I snagged a 1969 Fender Pbass for 75 bucks because the owner tried a Roadstar II when they came out and it was 'no - contest', the Fender losing. I have seller's regret over selling a 2012 ATK 200, which had the nicest neck I think I've ever played and I've played a couple of dozen Furlanetto basses (Sorry George ;) )

Last edited:

Superlead777

...another semi- rare Ibanez that is one of the best playing guitars....insane tone out of this one...crazy sustain for a locking trem too......

Attachments

• IMG_20150331_182938698.jpg
    IMG_20150331_182938698.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 260482_2181761065230_7094635_n.jpg
    260482_2181761065230_7094635_n.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 260482_2181761065230_7094635_n.jpg
    260482_2181761065230_7094635_n.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 33

Bass Butcher

2012 Indonesian made ATK 200, first year of the re-issues (iirc), with the double bucker CAP pickup instead of the single coils. If I kept this one I was going to add a neck pup for more bottom but the nicest neck I have ever played and stellar build quality. I have seller's regret over this bass and will def buy another, hopefully the same one if I see it come up for sale. A pro/studio quality bass that easily compares to a real Music Man that would cost 5 to 8 times as much used. Also a better bass than my '69 Fender P, even after I used it to invent the Fender 'Urge' bass with a pair of Schaller dual coil jazz pups in the mid - late 1980's.
Back in the 1980's Ibanez had the nickname 'Ibinhad' in North America. The people who really got 'had' were those who turned their noses up at the brand ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_233556.jpg
    IMG_20200118_233556.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 10

Bass Butcher

Ibanez is one of the biggest guitar companies in the world idk if you can claim they’re underrated. Great company and they make great guitars.
Ibanez was never a manufacturer until quite recently and even that is really a joint effort with Ibanez as half owner with the actual manufacturing company, rather than an Ibanez owned and operated manufacturer. The only Ibanez owned and operated manufacturing facility was the limited run custom shop they had for a while in the USA years ago.
While Fujigen (FGN), has always been their primary manufacturer for electric guitars and basses, at their peak Ibanez was using fourteen different manufacturers to meet demand. A lot of 'high end' Ibanez, like a lot of other higher end Fujigen instrument wood components were outsourced from Matsumoku, the Musician series, for example. For most or all higher end natural finish and neck throughs Fujigen 'made' instruments, Fujigen was the prime contractor/assembler, with the bodies and necks supplied by Matsumoku.

Last edited:

wraub

I recently got a Greco GOB 900, which is the same as the single coil Musician but with humbuckers. They are going to have to pry it out of my cold dead hands, lol
I'd love to get a mid 80's Roadstar II, stellar basses. I snagged a 1969 Fender Pbass for 75 bucks because the owner tried a Roadstar II when they came out and it was 'no - contest', the Fender losing. I have seller's regret over selling a 2012 ATK 200, which had the nicest neck I think I've ever played and I've played a couple of dozen Furlanetto basses (Sorry George ;) )

My Musician was an amazing bass, a factory fretless, DS940. I've thought about replacing it but the pricing and the age of the electronics are putting me off- mostly the pricing, tbh. I understand it, i just can't afford it. ;)

The Roadstar IIs I have are unusual in that they're five strings, I think maybe the first Ibanez five string basses made. Narrow string spacing, active pickups, ebony fingerboard, 24 frets. One of them was my only bass for over a decade, it got used a lot. I don't play them much anymore, but it'd be tough to let them go.

Bass Butcher

My Musician was an amazing bass, a factory fretless, DS940. I've thought about replacing it but the pricing and the age of the electronics are putting me off- mostly the pricing, tbh. I understand it, i just can't afford it. ;)

The Roadstar IIs I have are unusual in that they're five strings, I think maybe the first Ibanez five string basses made. Narrow string spacing, active pickups, ebony fingerboard, 24 frets. One of them was my only bass for over a decade, it got used a lot. I don't play them much anymore, but it'd be tough to let them go.
The RB 885 model. Pretty sure you are correct in 1985 being year 1 for the 5'ers.
My 900 has some cosmetic blems on the body and I am meh about that because I am going to modify the circuit a bit and replace the phase switch with the pup selector and add a second volume pot where the pup selector is now. I was thinking of pulling the preamp too and making it a stand alone unit but I am tempted to keep it. I've also found the tone pot on this bass to be pretty much the most useful on any bass I have ever played. I generally don't use a tone pot at all on passive two pup bass mods, preferring to just adjust the volume between the pups.

Here is a couple of nice videos of your 940 model at work, lol
Was the bass both songs were recorded with too.

Arhythmic

Herr is my mostly 80's early 90's collection.

Another incredible collection!
540PSH, RR400, DT400 and the UV777GR... Wow...
About 20 years ago, we saw one of those in local shop here in Montreal with my friend. We were both in awe because they only made 250, or so, of those. So my friend decided to trade in his 6 string Yamaha bass for it the next day, we came back and it was sold to a guy from the States... We were devastated... I've been looking for one ever since

Bass Butcher

Ibanez 2650 Custom.
Black, cream binding, gold hardware, set-neck.
Bought in March 1978 for $310.00 w/case.
Fujigen guitar with the body/neck possibly/probably supplied by Matsumoku and either Maxon or DiMarzio/Maxon Frankenpups, as DiMarzio was supplying Maxon with pup internals to help them meet demand at the time. Def a keeper.

Last edited:
Ibanez was never a manufacturer until quite recently and even that is really a joint effort with Ibanez as half owner with the actual manufacturing company, rather than an Ibanez owned and operated manufacturer. The only Ibanez owned and operated manufacturing facility was the limited run custom shop they had for a while in the USA years ago.
While Fujigen (FGN), has always been their primary manufacturer for electric guitars and basses, at their peak Ibanez was using fourteen different manufacturers to meet demand. A lot of 'high end' Ibanez, like a lot of other higher end Fujigen instrument wood components were outsourced from Matsumoku, the Musician series, for example. For most or all higher end natural finish and neck throughs Fujigen 'made' instruments, Fujigen was the prime contractor/assembler, with the bodies and necks supplied by Matsumoku.

Okay, most companies don’t have manufacturing facilities under their name but they still manufacture guitars with their names on them. Is a non custom shop schecter not a schecter because it’s not made in the schecter custom shop?

Ibanez does have their own facility in indonesia iirc, but it’s not the Ibanez factory. Does it make them any less of a manufacturer?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom