How about some live microphone options?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

We use 58s across the board in our band. We're an 8 piece party/cover band doing tunes from about every popular era. My style is primarily rock, but not screaming and eating the mic. I'll cover The Beatles, Tom Jones, Bryan Adams, Doobie Brothers, Billy Joel, Chicago, etc. I usually struggle sonically when trying to sing softer stuff like John Mayer, Frank Sinatra and so on.

So, I'm just looking for some possible alternatives to the 58...the OM5/OM6, Senn 835/845/935...hell, even the KMS105 if I thought it was worth the bank.

We have a pretty loud stage volume but I'm already using in-ears, so I don't know that feedback would really be a threat for me since I play guitar and sing, the mic will never leave the stand.

Any thoughts, experience or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

It's tough to mix mics, especially if some are still on wedges and you don't have individual monitor mixes. It's a nightmare to EQ different mics on one monitor mix.

What type and size of PA are you running, and do you have a soundman?

I've heard just about everyone sound good on a 58, so maybe you just need to tweak it a little bit?

3. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Check out Heil mics - excellent quality for reasonable prices.

4. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

It's a Mackie (sorry, don't know the model)...24 channel, few years old, etc.

I hear what you're saying, and our sound guy does a great job, but we're in a situation where we need to start getting some new gear and I'm trying to blaze the trail with our band in getting stuff like in-ears, mics, etc.

I'm hearing good things about the Beta 87.

5. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    Hey Scott, thanks for the MacBook Duet deal.... She's working great.
    Yeah, the Beta series are awesome, the 87 especially but even the Beta 58 is saweet on live vocals. Had a singer who was good on a 58 but switched to the Beta 58 and I couldn't believe the difference. It actually made him a better singer...:jo kidding...

But the Betas are pretty cool, oh and check out the Audix and Sennheiser line like you said in your post (the wireless Sennheisers are what I've been using for the past couple years and they are great with not one failure and they are bulletproof)

6. Structo

Structo Member

The old Mackie we used to use was a good board, also 24 channel.
    But the one thing that drove us crazy was that you could not EQ the monitors ( wedges).
    Maybe with an outboard EQ but we never went that far.
    So when I was running sound, the vocalists were always complaining that their voices sounded like crap through the mix.
    I would try to politely tell them that they sounded good in the mains but they always whined.
    Particularly the female singers........

We used to use 58s then some EV's.
    The last mic's we used were some Sennheisers ( can't remember the model) which sounded a lot more high fidelity to my ears.
    They seemed to handle vocalists with big pipes as well as the meek singers.

Mr. J, did you find the wireless Sennheisers to eat up batteries?
    We had a couple that would freak out when the batteries would get low.

7. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains

Don't know... we buy batteries in bulk and fresh batteries are put in regularly... (I take the used batteries and put them in my guitar pedals and pedal tuners as some of them still have a healthy charge)

I see battery use as the price you pay for going wireless... oh well...

Buy the batteries in bulk and you can get 9 volt alkaline Duracell ProCell or Duracell Ultra and Energizer Industrial for .85 - .99 cents apiece...
    Have you looked at the price of one plain Duracell coppertop at WalMart lately?:NUTS
    Buy in bulk...

8. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

57 or 58, Beta or non. All the live mic I'll ever need.

9. storm319

storm319 Member

If anyone is using wedges or on a loud stage, forget any condenser.

Audix vocal mics are pretty good. The om5 is basically the same as a 58. The om7 is probably the best gain before feedback mic there is, but is worthless unless you are pumping it with a really nice pre. I have yet to hear the om6, but am very interested.

I dont like any of the Sennheiser vocal mics. They are all just kinda bland. I think 58's blow these away and I dont like 58 very much.

As for other Shure mics, I really like the Beta57 but hate the Beta58. Go figure!

Another option may be the Heil PR20/22. I have yet to try, but have heard nothing but praises.

10. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I just switched from SM58s to Beta 58s for my live vocals, and they sound alot better.
    The Beta58 is hotter, less feedback prone, and clearer and fuller. Awesome, awesome mic.

11. bigroy

bigroy Member

+1 on the Beta 58. I made the switch about 5 years ago, and it's worked well for me. But this weekend, my bass player used an Audix OM5, and it sounded a bit better, at least in the monitors. So I'm going to grab a couple of the OM5's as a supplement to our rig, or as eventual replacements if we find that they sound better all the time.

BTW, regarding PA and monitors, if you are not using an EQ, your not realizing the full potential of your system, both in terms of output, and more importantly, in the quality of the sound itself.