how about the fender 5f1 or 5e3 as a pedal platform?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HazelGoatee, Jul 9, 2012.

1. HazelGoatee

HazelGoatee Member

want to get a combo amp as a pedal platform.
    please give me some info about the both.

Thank you!

2. Onioner

Onioner Member

Yuck. Love Tweeds, but never loved the cleans, at least from the small ones. Bassman would work.

3. Bryce_dude13

Bryce_dude13 Member

I've used a big muff through my Deluxe. Sounds great! It has very little headroom though.

4. Dale

Dale Member

5. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

i use a vicky 20112 tweed deluxe all the time. I use a fulltone plimsoul and a fulltone gt 500 through it all the time. The amp is plenty loud when micd up.
    I also use a couple delays and a wah and a tremolo.
    I think the 5E3 is perfect for a pedal platform. Mind you it is much easier to use a single coil than a humbucker for clean headroom, but both sound awesome.

6. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Guess it depends what you mean by pedal platform, but generally that means an amp with some clean headroom that you use pedals for the overdrive sounds, in which case those two amps are probably the worst I can think of. In fact, the whole reason to own those amps are because you DON'T need pedals to get them wound up.

At the same time I'm not saying they don't take pedals well, as I said it just depends what you mean by pedal platform...

7. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

A BF or SF Princeton non-reverb would be a much better choice.

Additionally, they're not expensive compared to their reverb counterparts

8. DRS

DRS Member

I would think a 12w amp that starts to break up around 4-5 would be a poor choice for a pedal platform. A tweed is an amp if you don't want to use pedals. Fender Twin, DRRI (on normal channel), HR Deville, all better chocies.

9. cichra

cichra Member

If you want to up the $$$, in my experience Dr Z amps respond wonderfully to pedals.

Silverface Fenders have the headroom necessary to avoid unfavorably coloring your pedals' tone. A Silverface Twin will make you especially happy, if for you happy = blown away by wall of unadulterated pedal goodness.

I've also heard great results with pedals and an old 1960's Epiphone Regent amp: clear, tons of headroom, ballsy as the balls' balls. And there happens to be one on eBay at the moment: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Regent-Amplifier-Vintage-Amp-Gibson-Made-1966-Super-Clean-Original-/140604897086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bcb4773e

10. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Not if you're intending to use pedals like Jimi and SRV did, for example. In those cases, you *want* some OD from the amp too.

simon_62 likes this.
  11. Onioner

Onioner Member

But then it's not a pedal platform. 5e3s can sound great with a variety of pedals, but for clean and uncolored, to allow the character of the pedal to shine, you're barking up the wrong tree.

12. HazelGoatee

HazelGoatee Member

Thank you guys!
    I want a low watt combo amp as a platform.
    hope the amp take the pedal very well.