How about the Line 6 Variax electronics in a "real" guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jpage, Dec 6, 2005.

1. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I notice that Warmoth is offering replacement parts but wouldn't it be cool to incorporate this technology into a Strat or something?

2. boog204

boog204 Supporting Member

it has been done w/ super cool results. http://www.guitaristjeffmiller.com/mods.htm

he has done a bunch of guitars w/ the variax system in it. there was a ridiculously long link on the line 6 forum detailing the process of creating the first tele-ax.

3. jpage

Very very nice. I have a Strat just begging to be modded.

Where can you get the electronics?

Thanks for the reply.

4. PolyMorf

PolyMorf Member

You have to buy a Variax and gut it out.

5. jpage

I'm kind of thinking that this technology will soon be avail as a drop in modification before too long. Whether it be a Line 6 product or someone else. Way too cool a mod for all these companies to ignore.

It looks like the process right now is almost cost-prohibitive. With even the Variax 300 selling for $500, and so few options currently available through Warmoth, why wouldn't you just purchase a higher end Line 6 guitar? Or a lower end one with a replacement neck?

Anyone know if the body and/or the electronics on the Variax 300 are inferior in any way to the 500 or 700?

6. wodka

wodka Supporting Member

I'd like to know this as well. There is a huge jump in price between the 500 and 700. Far more than the cost of upgrading the neck thorough Warmoth. According to the site, the electronics appear the same.

7. Vettavillenl

Vettavillenl Member

There's a slight difference in 'hardware' of the 300/600 and the 500/700.

The hardware is made differently, shape and build, allthough the offered software is almost identical. There's no sound difference between the two.

BTW for those with a Variax there's new flashware available
    http://www.vettaville.nl/vvlatestnewsnl.htm#215

8. smalahove

smalahove Member

9. axpro

axpro Member

Why not buy ahigher end Variax?

Because they are turds. I have no love for their guitars, essentially, even withthe higher end guitars, you are buying an electronics package, and the guitar is like a box to hold it. if it's a $300 electronics package and a $600 total for everything, you're still getting sacked with a $300 guitar. and apart from a new warmoth neck (which Line6 calls a feature.,.. that they use the same pocket as Warmoth!) you aren't going to have a great instrument.

I have done more than a few setups on these, and have been dissappointed int he build quality. I have no problem withthe electronics, not my favorite, but i can see a need... But i can't justify the guitar they wrap it with.

10. boog204

boog204 Supporting Member