How about the Matchless Lightning vs. Hayseed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I know it's not fair because one is 15 watts and one is 30, but I was wondering how they compared, if at all.

2. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

why not get the best of both worlds? my valvetech "teefus special" has an ac15 channel and a matchless voiced channel that can be blended to taste. the output section is 2xel34 cathode biased and a superb master volume ot make it small room friendly.

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

"why not get the best of both worlds? my valvetech "teefus special" has an ac15 channel and a matchless voiced channel that can be blended to taste. the output section is 2xel34 cathode biased and a superb master volume ot make it small room friendly."

Now that sounds like friggin cool amp! I had a matchless hurricane (AC-15 with some berries), sure wish I didn't sell it...

So it sounds like your "tefus special" was custom job... elaborate a bit?

4. teefus

channel one is like a vox ac15 (with ef86 preamp tube), tone switch (bass cut) and volume only. channel two is like matchless chieftan, simple tone stack and volume control. channels are internally jumpered when using a the right input jack. adjust your master and blend channel volumes to taste. 2xel34 cathode bias output stage. basic effects loop and a hi cut/prescence control. sounds fantastic. i'll post a photo when my hfc member page becomes available again.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

does sound like a pretty sweet cup of tea! :)

6. morgan

morgan Guest

That sounds friggin awesome. Maybe I need another hayseed, the teefus model. :)

What speakers do you run it through?

7. teefus

i have 2 avatar 1x12's, one with a weber michigan and the other has a red fang. i also have a trutone 2x10 with a weber thames and a weber alnico blue pup. the cabs are mix and match. i tkae as few as 1-1x12 or both 1x12's or the 2x10 cab depending on the stage and the room. i haven't found a bad speaker for the valvetech yet.

8. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I had a Bad Cat Cub 2 a few years ago, and I have the Hayseed 30 now. The one thing that they both have in spades is the "swirlly sound". When played clean, or with a bit of volume (not cranked) the sound has a thickess to it even though they are bright amps. Prolly the single coolest thing about them IMHO. Both can get flubby when pushed too hard. Both have tone controlls that can be hard to set one day and dead on majic the next. The Matchless/Bad Cat speakers are very cool IMHO, and my Hayseed has 30w Weber Blues. Not sure why I went with the 30w version, but the top end is part of the sound on both amps. My Cub had some ghosting, and so does the Hayseed, part of the majic.

Matchless amps are very costly, and the Hayseed is not. Rob makes every thing in his shop. Even the chassis is bent and punched by him. He will mod the amp for you if you know what you want.....
    Matchless is prolly the high-end sportscar/Mil-spec version of the AC30 sound with cool Tweaks. The Hayseed is the AC30 for guys that can't or wont spend the big $$$ for the vintage AC30 sound.
    Both are KILLER amps in the right players hands.....

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

Grrr. All this Hayseed talk is giving be GAS! I hope Rob's not busy for the next couple of years. It sounds like he's going to have a few orders to fill!

10. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

IIRC, he has 30 to build just for his vendor in Japan!

11. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

What about the original question?

12. JackC

JackC Member

I haven't heard it, but I do know the Teefus Hayseed looks badass.
    [​IMG]

13. teefus

thanks jack, i couldn't get to my jpeg on the hfc member pages. rob (valvetech) will do just about anything with tolex. i have seen a large checkerboard (b+w) head an cab he did for someone and it was killer. i asked him for offset racing stripes ala shelby and he did a fantastic job, imho. the amp sounds amazing and is very complex tone-wise.

14. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I agree, however I don't think my lightening sounds like a vox. I keep hearing that from people but I don't get it.

I think that once you get into the high end EL84 amp the differences are subtle and the fingers of the player are the biggest influence on tone. For me the Matchless works for some of my friends the Dr. Z stuff works. It's funny I just don't get the Z stuff. It's what you like that maters. ItÂ’s not a better or worse thing at all.