How about these always on pedals for my situation?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Jan 25, 2015.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hi guys, I am still looking for an always on pedal. My current favorite is my Sonic Edge J&J OD but I like it for other things too. I guess I could get two.

I don't worry so much about transparency. I want something that can make my amp feel and sound more like it is cranked at home volume. Too add some grit to my cleans and to add a slight boost and thickness to my gain, especially to help the lower volume tones give more sustain or punch. Easy to use, not hi-fi nor too bright.

Looking at the Fulltone Fat Boost 3, Xotic EP, Dr
    Scientist Cleanness, Keeley Katana, Xotix RC and MXR Micro Amp Plus. How about the Love Pedal Amp 50.

Simplicity is key! I hate fussing with pedala too much. The new Katana looks good?

Thanks for the additional advice.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  2. asatbender

asatbender Supporting Member

I use a bluesbreaker clone for that always on tone sweetening effect. I just bought a Boss BB-2 and it can be useful for this too. The BB-2 is transparent but it does add "something"in the high end that might help you stand out in a band setting.

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

I have to admit I do prefer simplicity which allows me to play, not adjust an EQ. The new Keeley Katana is tempting that way!

4. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

One of the beautiful things about a tube amp that's cooking, even if it's not really heavily overdriven, is the way that it compresses - the dynamic reaction of a good amp set to just before or at the edge of breakup is a big part of the feel and tone that we are looking for when we turn our amps up loud.
    With this in mind, I'd recommend a bearfoot pale green compressor. Very subtle compression and tone sweetening - you don't really notice its there until you turn it off. Put this last in your chain, leave it on, and you'll be amazed at the difference in feel you get from all of your other pedals.

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Check out the Lovepedal Amp 50. It covers all theses needs in a small single knob format. I regret selling mine.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

What you ask for is exactly why one of these has been in my chain for over 20yrs.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251801137027

And don't be afraid to use that cab sim when doing low volume stuff, kick it in, then adjust your EQ. It's even in manuals suggested settings to use it with guitar amps. Rolls off high end buzz, plumps up lower mids, makes everything sound tube like (compression) and buttery.

Know you said you want simple, but fact is you can't do this without good EQ. EQ in this is one of the best that's ever been made for guitarists. Sure you can roll through 5-6 pedals till you find maker who voices it like you need it, or you can get one that allows you to set it up for what you need.

7. papersoul

papersoul Member

One comment on EQ....the J&J OD has never given me an issue with any amp. Thanks all, I am leaning toward what I know well...the RC Boost, EQ and all. Many are fine with the MXR or KATANA with little EQ.