1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How about this Gretsch tone...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Crowder, May 23, 2011.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

How much of the lead tone is:

-- Gretsch hollowbody design
    -- Filtertron-style pickups
    -- Effects
    -- Amp

?

Can you get that tone from having the right pickups in a different style of guitar?

2. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

IMO, I think that sound is unique to Gretsch and the amp ( Black Pearl Class A).
    I don't know if using Filtertons or TV Jones on other hollow body guitars would duplicate that exact tone. I bought a used Gretsch to get tone like that ( and clean as well)

3. bdc123

bdc123 Member

Hiatt is awesome and so under-appreciated....Love his choice in sidemen over the years including this one.

4. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

agree with this, he is another artist i got turned onto by listening to a few of Joe Bonamassa's covers. really digging Hiatt's work

5. art_z

art_z Member

I've had several 6120's over the years, 2 from 1966 and then more recent Fender era ones. Not sure the Filtertron vs TV Jones is going to make that much of a huge difference. That tone is the "classic" Gretsch/Filtertron sound. Listen to anything Neil Young has done with his Gretschs or even some of the grittier Setzer stuff.

6. art_z

art_z Member

BTW, thanks for posting this. I've never heard a John Hiatt tune before and now am going out to buy this CD.

7. bobmc

bobmc Supporting Member

Why does Dave say "Levon Helm" at the beginning?

8. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Wow, you have a lot of music to explore my friend. John is an amazing songwriter. But are you saying you've never heard "Thing Called Love" by Bonnie Raitt, or "Riding With the King" by B.B. King & Eric Clapton, or "It Feels Like Rain" by Buddy Guy, or "Have a Little Faith in Me" by Joe Cocker, Delbert McClinton (and several others), or "Angel Eyes" by Jeff Healey??

My point is that Hiatt is a much-covered songwriter and chances are you have heard his tunes by other artists.

9. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Because he sat in with the house band.

10. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I'm loving his delay tone. That sounds good. I myself have never consciously listened to any of Mr. Hiatt's work. Going to have to do some digging now.

11. bobmc

bobmc Supporting Member

I wanted to add that I had the good luck to see Hiatt w/ Landreth supporting "Slow Turning" at a NOLA Jazzfest years ago. My fave show from either performer, and alltime top 20 live show for me at that.

Great material, fantastic band, and Hiatt is a funny, engaging performer. Add in a big, appreciative Fest crowd (and some cold beer and great food), and velvet painting of Elvis, my crazy ex GF, ahhhhhh....

12. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Member

I'd suspect a lot of it is the hollowbody and the filtertron-style pups. There's some delay/verb and little overdrive too, but the timbre is mainly due to the guitar/pup combination IMO.

I've got an old cheapie Epi hollowbody with a set of retrotron nashvilles and it can sound pretty similar.

13. Colors

Colors Member

Which model is he playing in that video?

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
  14. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Modern 6120, no telling which version.

15. Colors

Colors Member

I'm not much of a tone chaser but that is the sound I have been after lately. I just can't get there with a solid body. I guess to get that open sounding grit I need a hollowbody. I need to do it on the cheap though. Any suggestions?

16. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

For budget, check out a Gretsch Electromatic G5120.
    Not 'exactly' right, but close, and you could always swap out the stock pups for TV Jones Classics if you fall in love with the guitar.

Also, Gretsch resale is pretty low, keep your eyes open for a clean used one (Terada plant, Fender-era for best consistent QC).

17. picknpluck

picknpluck Member

:agree

I messed around with a G5120 at the local store the other day and I was quite impressed with it. $700 new and, IMO, A LOT of guitar for the money. Go check one out, I think you'll be as impressed as I was.

18. art_z

art_z Member

Its more than the hollow body. You won't get this tone out of a ES335. I think the Filtertron/TV Jones component is key. You could probably pull it off with a Gretsch Duojet.

19. Colors

Colors Member

I wonder if a Reverend Club King with Revtron pups would get close? Those pups are based on 50's era Filtertrons.

20. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

I could be wrong, but I think that GB Black Pearl is Hiatt's. He has a demo with a Black Pearl on the intrawebs:

At any rate, I hope that sound can be had with the Filtertrons and that amp. I play a Black Pearl as my main gigging amp, and I'm about to put a TV Classic in the neck of my Les Paul.