How about this setup for recording...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by IRG, Aug 21, 2008.

1. IRG

IRG Member

I've never recorded anything before, total noob. I want something that has a fairly high level of ease of use, yet not so simple I outgrow it in a year. Goal is to record my amp, so I'll mic it. I may go beyond that, but I want to capture the sound of my amp/effects, not a digital software program.

So for basic hardware, abd a tight budget, I'm looking at the following:

TASCAM DP-02CD $375
    Shure SM57 Mic bundle $99
    Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones $99

Later, I'll add some active monitors. Might add a separate drum machine, but for now the DP-02 will cover it. Nothing fancy, obviously, but it should be enough to get me started. I can import what I make on this machine into my Riffworks software, I hope. If not, I'll get different software. But I want to do most of the recording on the unit itself. The computer is not dedicated to recording (yet) and as such is not located anywhere near the rest of the gear, hence the digital portastudio.

Any comments, suggestions, other gear I should have looked at? Thanks.

2. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Is computer-based recording not an option for you? If you have a PC around that you can utilize as a recording machine, you can go with a setup like Pro Tools LE or Cubase. A setup like that will get you started, but you can also grow with it to a much greater extent than with the Tascam.

3. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Or use Reaper if you want a simple, powerful, full-featured program that is very inexpensive.

4. IRG

IRG Member

Frankly, I don't really like using computers all that much. I know it's the way to go, and I do have some decent softtware now, but I don't use it. Part of the problem is the computer is a family used one, so it isn't convenient. I may eventualy get a separate one (I have a laptop for work, the wife has a laptop for home use, the standalone unit, so another =4) but for now, it seems like a more expensive option.

When I integrate everything into the "music room" then I would probably go the computer route. But for now, this seems like a better option. Plus, they can still be used together in the future.