How accurate is guitarcenter.com's in-stock feature?

Starshine

If you look up a certain guitar and the website tells you it's in stock at a certain store, what are the chances of it actually being there? If it tells you it will take 3-7 days to get delivered, does that store definitely not have the guitar in stock?

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I would always call them on the phone to seal a deal instead of buying online. Who knows, maybe they can cut you a deal while they're at it.

Guitarworks

I would call personally and speak with those at GC who have the answers you need, and write down their names and locations. I would not trust implicitly anything the website is telling you. If you have to use a combination of phone calls/internet to make it happen, where the person(s) you talk to can verify the guitar's whereabouts and they tell you buying it online is a 'go' for this or that price, then take that route.

Definitely call them.
Ask about the condition of the item, buckle rash?, etc.
Also ask for a discount. If they've had it a while, they can drop the price a bit.
If no discount, ask for them to throw in some strings.

Once someone buys it, it will no longer allow you to buy it online.
The item will still appear in the summary view, but if you try to select it for purchase, and it's already gone, it won't let you buy it.

I once called a store about a Dave Murray Strat. They told me it had been sold already.
On a whim, I went ahead and made the online order, because it let me.
Within the week I had the guitar, LOL!

Starshine

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to buy online, I'm looking for a location that has the new Professional Jazzmaster to try out and I'm wondering if I should call every store in a 100 mile radius to confirm that they don't have it in stock, as the website indicates.

cardinal

You can look up stock by store, even for new items. Seems easy to just call and confirm.

m.e.

Talking like a jerk except I am an actual jerk
Gold Supporting Member
Just to be clear, I'm not looking to buy online, I'm looking for a location that has the new Professional Jazzmaster to try out and I'm wondering if I should call every store in a 100 mile radius to confirm that they don't have it in stock, as the website indicates.

I've found their in-stock status to be pretty accurate. Over the past few years, I've probably gone to a Guitar Center to check out something (a new item) that they've listed as being in-stock at that particular location 5 or 6 times and they've always had it.

I actually went to my local GC to play the new American Professional Jazzmater yesterday.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I've found it to be pretty accurate. I haven't used it for a guitar, but pedals, accessories etc. Maybe once I went to the store and they didn't have it. And it could have sold between the time I looked and the time I went by. On the other hand, I looked for something once and it said they didn't have it at a location. I was going anyway, and it turned out they had it. That's different!

Particularly useful for me because I have three locations not too far from me, and a couple more that my travels often take me near. Often only one of them has what I'm looking for.

Computers can do amazing things! If you have an inventory logging in system tied into your sales register system, all you have to do is scan the bar code and it should be done automatically. Setting up the first part was probably challenging but once done, pretty easy.

ksandvik

I think the only cases where the inventory is wrong is if there's only one item and hard to track it down or if the item is hot-selling. Best to call before going to store in case the drive is long.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom