How and where do you use a vibe pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yannis, Dec 16, 2006.

1. drolling

drolling Member

I've got a lot of pedals, but the 'vibe's my only *swirly* - and unlike distortion/fuzz pedals, once I finally got a really good one, my gas was permanently cured - wish I could say the same for overdrives & analogue delays, which are starting to pile up here in the studio!

For many years, I made do w/an MXR Phase 90, which I finally sold for a stupid amount of money, but I've been thru' a few 'vibes, starting w/Dunlop, the company that actually owns the word "Univibe" - I wish it sounded as cool as it looks, but in fact I preferred the sound of the $29 Dano pedal.. It's even got a miniature light bulb/photocell arrangement, which gives the vibe its unique, organic sounding throb. Chicken Salad has a crappy buffer, tho'. A true *tone-sucker* in bypass mode.

The MicroVibe's OK, too. I had an early one (no LED) and I think they do sound a bit better than the current VoodooLab version.

The Magicboy & the Mo'faux lack the light & photo cells, so they sound more like a phaser mixed w/a tremolo to my ears, but Bob Sweet's other vibe's about as good as it gets, IMO.

When my buddy upgraded to the current issue MojoVibe, I bought his UltraVibe - They're big, black (there are a few very rare white or orange ones out there) and AC powered w/an internal transformer, so I don't know if it would work in Greece, but the thing absolutely nails Hendrix' Band of Gypsies tone - which is why I stopped looking.

It'll also do a decent Pink Floyd "Breathe" clean type modulation, tho' I rarely use mine w/o some dirt. Jimi ran his into dimed Marshalls, so I usually place an overdrive pedal after the 'vibe. Sounds more authentic that way. Some don't agree, but that's the way Bob Sweet runs his, too.

There are a bunch of others out now, the Retroman Ubervibe being the only one that interests me, but if you're just looking for a taste, I'd grab the little Dano. Sounds great, and you'll certainly not be able to beat that price!

2. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

For me the pedal I use most and couldn't live without is my Boss CS3 compressor. This is purely down to personal preference - I've heard lots of people sya they hate compressors and would never use them, but mine is now an integral part of my sound and I love it.

Next in line for me would be a delay pedal - I use it very sparingly, but think that for lots of diferent types of music, nothing beaks the sound of a nice, subtle delay. The only time I turn it off totally is for blues, where delay sounds just out of place.

Next for me would be overdrives and distortions. This assumes you've got an overdrive sound on your amp - if not, then OD would be my first choice. I got so many overdrives I've almost lost count.

After these basic building blocks I use the following for a little extra spice at various times:

Chorus. I pretty mush hate the 80's chorus sound, but still love a very occasional vintage sounding slow chorus for some songs. More often IU crank up the depth and speed and use my chorus pedal to simulate a rotating speaker. I find that using the chorus this way really can accentuate the rhythm part in a song, although I'd never EVER use this effect for a whole song. I have a Boss chorus ensemble, and although it's not boutique, Ifind it hard to imagine a better chorus. The one control it has that I find indispensible is the mix control - I hate not being able to control the amount of chorus in the sound. The Boss can do a really subtle chorus really well.

Tremolo pedal - good for slow backing parts, but I don't use it much for rocky tunes. I find the Boss TR2 hard to beat and I auditioned lots of brands in my search. There is definitely a drop in volume when you use it, but I don't find this a problem.

Microvibe - as has already been discussed. I tend to use either the microvibe or an MXR EVH phaser, although to be honest they don't sound very similar. Phaser is a great sound on a heavily overdriven guitar sound.

I alternate my microvibe/phaser with a flanger from time to time. I use a Boss BF2 that I'm honestly not too happy with, but it probably doe sthe job I need, and I only use it infrequently anyway. I wish I'd bought an MXR flanger instead.

I have not started on overdrives, distortions and boosts since these are a story all to themselves!

3. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

For me - a vibe pedal can be the only modulation I take to a gig. It can cover the same ground that a chorus, phaser, tremolo, and vibrato (in addition obviously the classic univibe warble) by varying the speed and intensity. I like having some other things as well but if I have to just take one due to space, time, whatever... the univibe (in my case a mini dejavibe) can get me in the ballpark of all those others.

4. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

I back this. I just got a Mofaux and I'm sending it back because the chicken salad sounds better to me, ragardless of price.

5. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

My band plays a lot of Springsteen stuff. I use a Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe on chords to get a Hammond-y feel for some parts of the songs.

6. monk

monk Member

I use my univibe a lot but I prefer the vibrato setting.
    I think it´s more useful than a choruspedal.
    On this recording (before my pedal obsession) I had a
    Dunlop univibe just to fatten up the sound a bit.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=bagJxeoVHFo

7. quackattack

quackattack Member

Though usually not the reason people buy one, the MojoVibe does the best Magnatone-esque true pitch shift vibrato I've ever heard. It gives dead-on Lonnie Mack sounds on the "vibrato side". IMHO it kills the Vibrostomp.