How are Boss pedals perceived here?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jpage, Apr 25, 2016.

1. jpage

jpage Member

Reading a Prince thread over on the Amps forum and several posters made comments about how surprised they were that he could sound good and still be using Boss pedals...I guess I'm out of the loop, I always thought Boss were the workhorses of the stomp box industry? Are they considered junk now?

AshMaui likes this.
  2. Unchained81

Unchained81 Member

Because they're not $229 each so they must suck.

<sarcasm>

3. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Some of us think some of them are awesome... Others lean more towards boutique. YMMV is a term often used.

I have a DD7 and love it.

MrLahey and AshMaui like this.
  4. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

I would assume Prince didn't use Boss pedals in the studio. That said, Boss make great stuff, they are by far the industry standard and extremely durable and reliable on the road. They also sound great and are used by the vast majority of touring musicians. They are also easy to replace nearly everywhere on earth and affordable. Nothing bad to say here!

5. snouter

snouter Member

A lot of BOSS pedals do not yield desirable results compared to similar pedals that do not cost much more. But BOSS has kicked up their game. The BOSS DD-500 is the best delay pedal available at the moment IMO. No idea if Prince ever used it. Could care less what gear he used.

csweet08, NicDo and Multicellular like this.
  6. Auditory Driving

Auditory Driving Member

I use a few boss pedala, (rv6, dd6, rv5) and i have played many small gigs with an od3 and sd1, and it was just great times.

The only big issue that i see now at home is that stacking a lot of boss pedals can cause issues, including noise, because of their buffers ( two buffers each, input / output). I ve modded both the od3 and sd1 to remove some shrillness but all of them are ok to great pedals.

7. Musicman112

Musicman112 Member

This review of "The Metal Zone" from Boss is hilarious. With this I wan't to say that some doesn't sound that sweet, and others sound great.

bullet6759 and Bob T. like this.
  8. Space Jazzer

Space Jazzer Member

9. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

Haha, I actually thought the Metal Zone sounded great here!!! Not transparent at all but cool! If I was 14 I'd be losing my mind with one of those!!

10. guitardudeness

guitardudeness Member

It used to be cool to hate them, then maybe a lot of ppl who bashed grew up a few years and began to realize that most Boss stuff is pretty good, and indestructible.

So now it's kinda trendy to "heart" Boss, but in a few months, it could be back in the doghouse again. I like most of the stuff I've tried from them, just not a big fan of too many buffers in my chain, so I only have a few as utility pedals.

11. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

Basically, opinions are mixed.

Detractors talk about boring/bad sound and/or terrible buffers.

Fans talk about them being reliable workhorses which sound great in a band context, and come with a reasonable price tag.

General opinion seems to have increased of late, with some of the waza releases, the DD500, and the ES8 being well received. The SY300 had some doubters when it was announced, largely because a lot of the demos were crap, but there is a small but strong community of fans of the pedal here (myself included).

Boss is the pedal company I've spent by far the most on - by a factor of at least 3. In fact, I've probably spent more on Boss pedals than all other brands combined. They are great, reliable pedals, and my SY300 does things that nothing else on the market does. However, when it comes to apples to apples type comparisons, I do prefer the sound of Strymon delay algorithms to Boss delay algorithms, for instance.

You have to be careful when you venture to the amp forum though. A lot of people there don't like pedals at all, and are much further back when it comes to accepting that a brand like boss can make good sounding pedals.

ThinPaperWings and AshMaui like this.
  12. Musicman112

Musicman112 Member

Haha, yes=) But one musn't forget that those guys has killer equipment, killer guitars and amps. Despite this, the pedal still sounds like an angry bee=) With the equipment I had when I was 14 it would sound like a dying bee on acid.

Hopkins89 likes this.
  13. 108

108 Member

It depends on when you ask, TGP is fickle. Boss is praised now but only a few short years back nobody would touch them.

Someone like Prince could work with anything on hand and craft something special. There are no bad pedals, only colors and hues to paint with. A great artist does not always need the conventional acclaimed "best" or top of the line product to do something interesting.

14. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

I don't know... I would use my Keeley MT2 over any of my OD-11 and Archer pedals, easily. Keely mod took care of most of the bees while Archer makes my sound muddy and OD-11 is just my guitar with a high-mid boost that I can't dial out.... Perhaps they don't like my guitar and amp. However, this made me very cautious (to say the least) every time that I hear about a "transparent" OD, especially with only 1 tone knob.

Timmy, on the other hand, works fine....

15. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I think they are great pedals.
    [​IMG]

16. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

i wish all my pedals had boss enclosures.

slybird, el guapo, MilwMark and 13 others like this.
  17. rosslevans

rosslevans Member

18. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

I love Boss pedals and I hate the fact that people seem to think they need modding all the time.

Because they just do not.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  19. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

So true! As much as I love this site it's amazing to see how opinions of what sounds best seem to shift overtime, you can see it in the way the pedalboard photos change over time too :) That said, Boss has been stepping up their game lately, possibly reminding us of why we loved them so much in the first place. Also, the seemingly endless abundance of choice available in 2016 can be overwhelming. Boss are like a safe place to hide in a world filled with big bad boutique pedals!

bullet6759 likes this.
  20. tbader

tbader Member

Some of the classic designs have remained constant favorites here for many years.

The most popular and coveted, I believe, is the CE-2.

The drives get good marks here; BD-2, OD-3, and SD-1 are amongst the best.

The digital delays remain popular, as well. The DD-2 is well sought after (vintage mojo, I suppose), as well as the DD-5, for its well-voiced repeats, stereo operation, external tap, and dotted eighth modes (it's also long discontinued, so that might be adding to the allure).

With that said, the DD-6 gets no respect here, which then leads us to the DD-7, which Boss "got right" and is still in production. People here would LOSE THEIR MINDS if Boss produced a DD-8, for sure.

The DD-20 is still respected, although I think many players have retired theirs to get the DD-500, which is insanely loved right now. The DD-500 and some players are still newly-weds, so I can't say with certainty it'll stick around as well as the classics.

The RE-20 still gets talked about, good and bad, but is highly regarded if one is looking for an RE-201 simulation.

Analog delays, such as the mythical DM-2 have remained, perhaps, as constantly popular as the CE-2. Boss recognizes this, generally, which had inspired them to put a DM-2 model on the DD-7, and, most recently, release an all-analog DM-2 reissue (with some enhancements).

The DM-3, however, has dropped in popularity SIGNIFICANTLY. I've not seen one on anyone's board in years.

Back in the day, Keeley, indyguitarist (Wampler), and Monte Allums mods were EVERYWHERE. Now, not so much. Although, the Keeley BD-2 Phat Mod popularity is back with a vengeance, but you rarely see Keeley GE-7s, or TR-2s anymore.

Which leads me to the DS-1, modded or stock. It's a love/hate thing here. Most guys in their 30s-40s will likely attest to having one, as there weren't many options back in the day.

Like me. I've had a few. But they suck, IMO. The Keeley SEM is a good attempt at making a buzzy mess sound a bit better, but it's just a different kind of suck, I guess.

Finally, the MT-2. Most guys on here seem to joke about how awesome it is, which is confusing when someone actually praises it. Look at "Recommend a transparent low gain overdrive" threads over the years. Many will say Timmy, and some jokers will say MT-2 to provoke laughter from sympathizers, or get the fans all riled up and defensive. :D