How Are Mojotone Pickups ?

ezra1

I have been looking at Firebird pickups .
And the Mojotone are highly recommended.
I have bought amp parts and capacitors and tubes from them for years.
How do their pickups compare ( all types to)winders like Duncan, Sigil, Lollar and Rewind ?

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
If you do a search you'll find a huge amount of info here about these pickups. Have fun!

piloto117

I have a set of their PAF clones and they're pretty neat. I think they offer great pickups at good decent prices. Obviously tone is subjective so do your research well, but as far as quality goes, they're up there. Good luck!

Last edited:

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
I put Mojotone Clone P90s in my Guild Blues 90 last week. They sound great! Nice cleans, raunchy dirt. I like the neck pickup better than the Antiquity that I had in it.

Mincer

The Antiquity Firebird pickups are my absolute favorite of that type. They aren't potted, but that is one of the things I really like about them, as I depend a lot of touch-sensitivity.

86runner

Gold Supporting Member
I've had Lollar FBs and currently have Kleins, Mojotone Johnny Winters and Antiquities in different FBs/Banshees. The Johnny Winters are my second favorite, behind the Kleins. I highly recommend them. For me it's Klein, Johnny Winters, Antiquities and Lollars, in that order. Strictly my opinion.

ezra1

I am down to Mojotone, D'URBANO and Zhangbucker.
Zangbucker has a 12 week lead time.
I sent emails to the other 2 tonight.

ezra1

D'URBANO says a week lead time but to let him know if I need them faster.
But he is in Australia.
I should hear from Mojotone tomorrow.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I have a pair of 59 Clones in a semi-hollow. They are very clear and bell-like.

The guitar they are in is rather bright, so at first I wasn't sure if I liked them. But they've grown on me in a big way, I especially like that they retain clarity when rolling the volume and tone knobs back. I believe they are A4 magnets IIRC

ezra1

Mr Fantastic ( D'URBANO ) has had extensive email communication with me and was knowledgeable about my amps and my Firebird.
I did speak with Mojotone and while they were informative ,I just didn't jell with them
So I called D'URBANO in Australia and talked to the man.
He was knowledgeable about Clapton's Firebird 1 with Cream and Johnny Winters amps on Still Alive & Well.
That impressed me and I bought his set.
One pleasant surprise to me was that the exchange rate Aussie dollars to US worked favorably for me.

scr@tchy

When I was looking for firebird pickups the D'URBANO demos sounded the most articulate in the wound strings for me and I'd go to him first if I were looking again. I ended up buying his Phoenix pickups and now have them in two guitars they are my favorite pickups. He was fast with communication and delivered before his due dates both times, I'm in USA.

I briefly tried the Quiet Coil bridge P90 (regular version, not the hot) and found it by far the best noiseless P90 I've tried, the others being Kent Armstrong and Seymour Duncan. It wasn't an exact stand-in for a conventional P90, but it got about 90% there, and passed the "feels and sounds good" test.

Snottyboy

I have a pair of 59 Clones in a semi-hollow. They are very clear and bell-like.

The guitar they are in is rather bright, so at first I wasn't sure if I liked them. But they've grown on me in a big way, I especially like that they retain clarity when rolling the volume and tone knobs back. I believe they are A4 magnets IIRC
I can verify this... my ES333 came with 59 clones already on-board, and they were a huge pleasant surprise
Same. Installed a set in my semi-hollow a few years ago. The clarity and articulation is fantastic.

Trending Topics