How are "PA" speakers at bass?

jdogric12

The keyboardist in our band has been playing through some EV ZLX 1000W 12's and loves them. Would they be ok for bass pedals? (Minitaur, like a Taurus sound) I want to really rumble the room with them.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
If you added a sub. On their own, they'd work, but don't expect the walls to shake.

335guy

The published specs by EV state the ZLX-12P goes down to 65 Hz, and that is probably at -3 db or greater. IMO, that's not going to make a room rumble. At a very moderate volume, that speaker could be used for bass pedals, but it won't get the deep fundamental notes. I'd look elsewhere.

Yer Blues

I agree a sub would be a good idea.
On the flip side, are you sure all the venues you play at want the room to rumble? In my experience, this is not always the case.

RustyAxe

Most powered speakers can handle bass at reasonable volumes. Most do NOT have the speaker excursion to "rumble the room" without significant distortion ... leading to sudden death.

jdogric12

I agree a sub would be a good idea.
On the flip side, are you sure all the venues you play at want the room to rumble? In my experience, this is not always the case.
I think we're one of the few bands that packs the place. They'll like. And the band we're covering (tributing? is that a word?) requires chest-thumping bass.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
I think we're one of the few bands that packs the place. They'll like. And the band we're covering (tributing? is that a word?) requires chest-thumping bass.
then you want a sub (and a good eq for that channel!)

chrisjnyc

Yea, most powered PA speakers roll off a lot of low frequencies. It's a catch 22, as you don't want them to distort when you crank up the PA, but it lops off a low end. Get a sub and you will feel the difference!

335guy

If your band's PA system doesn't have subs, then you should consider getting them and plugging the bass pedals into your band's PA. Alternately, if you want a separate system for just the bass pedals, consider a good bass amp. Some 4 x 10 cabs can get down to 30 Hz, and will cover the upper ranges of the bass pedals as well. Of course, you'd need an amp head as well. A quality rig like like that could cost as much as $1500 ( new ) or more, depending on what you bought. But an active 18" sub + and active upper PA cab could cost as much. With a bass cab and amp head, you would have a more compact setup and more tone shaping capabilities.

Trending Topics