How are Ron Kirn guitars?

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
Looking at one of this teles. Just wanted to get opinions on his build quality. I am debating between a used custom shop tele, a Wildwood thin skin, and a Ron Kirn.

specialidiot

most likely to seceede
Platinum Supporting Member
Excellent quality. It seems all of the ones I find have a chunky neck, which I don't get along with.

Be aware many of them come with a satin finish, not gloss.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Don't own one, but I've played a couple. Very solid feeling. Particularly the quality and detail of the neck setup and fretwork is impressive. But he'll be along to tell you all about it soon!

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I will say that although the Kirn would easily be the equal of the three choices you mention quality wise, the used Custom Shop would probably be safest if at market price or better. You could pretty easily flip it for most of your money back. The Kirn wouldn't be as quick to sell (not as many people aware of them), but would also hold reasonable value. If you're having Mr. Kirn build you a new one you of course would be able to specify exactly what you want, but probably take a hit at resale.

fatoni

I want to love teles so much that I've bought 4 of them but sell them shortly after. His was the only one that sounded the way they sound in my head. Only reason I sold it was because the huge neck. I'll have one again and it will be my only non Suhr guitar when I do.

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
I had one of his Strats, that I bought on the used market. It came to me with a freakishly great set-up. Unreal. Low action and not a hint of buzz, anywhere. Off-the-charts playability. The tone was a little dull and chalky. I forget what pickups were in there. I had to move it on during a money crunch. But I would recommend one of his builds without hesitation. And every time I've emailed him, he's answered immediately and with good humor.

jabba

I own one of his guitars now. Its a blonde blackguard telecaster style, maple neck and fretboard. The most beatiful transparent blonde finish I've ever seen on a guitar. It is simply a superb guitar. His pickups sound really good too. Full sounding with lots of twang, not thin or shrill sounding. My other guitar is a Danocaster singlecut and I feel the Kirn hangs with the Dano well....both sound great and have superb build quality.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
He's a complete hack.

JK :) ... Only said that because I know he'll eventually see this.

Although I've never played one of his guitars, I can't imagine how with his experience and knowledge, they could be anything but superb instruments. Those I've seen have also looked great.

TylerE

I thought he did all necks to order.
I think he actually sources the necks. Like, I'm sure he does the fretwork, and probably some shaping, but I think he gets the basic neck from Musikraft or something.

Edit: Yep, my memory was right: "I begin with your choice of neck, ordered from one of several superb suppliers. I finalize the shape and roll the fingerboard edges to give it the feel of the vintage classics of the 60’s"

ThePunisher

I've played a few. Never liked them. They are too "furniture" like to me and hardly sound Rock N Roll to me.

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
I own one of his guitars now. Its a blonde blackguard telecaster style, maple neck and fretboard. The most beatiful transparent blonde finish I've ever seen on a guitar. It is simply a superb guitar. His pickups sound really good too. Full sounding with lots of twang, not thin or shrill sounding. My other guitar is a Danocaster singlecut and I feel the Kirn hangs with the Dano well....both sound great and have superb build quality.
What do you mean by “his pickups”? I think he installs any pickups the customer requests.

Braunzo

What do you mean by “his pickups”? I think he installs any pickups the customer requests.
He winds his own pickups as well. I initially asked for Lollars in my Tele and he said, "Why don't you give me a stab at the pickups. It will save you a bit of money and I really think you'll wind up liking them." This was after several conversations we had. I'm glad I opted for his pickups. They sound great!

I've gone through tons of Teles. I'm down to three currently (and I consider myself a Tele guy). The Kirn remains in the stable.

Trending Topics