How are the Edwards and other Japanese LP's? I know, I know

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sonic Reducer, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I've seen these discussed a lot around here recently. I have a Goldtop Historic
    that I really like right now. I've just been thinking that it's a lot of money
    to have invested in one guitar. I might sell it and pick up an Edwards or other
    Japanese LP clone.

I don't really care about a flawless finish, binding, the best hardware etc.
    Here is what I care about:

1. How is the playability of the guitar
    2. Is it a toneful guitar or dead wood
    3. Does it stay in tune and do the electronics work properly.

Everything else comes second to me. I know all guitars vary, but in general do
    the Edwards meet the criteria above?

One thing about the 57 that I really like that I don't think I'll find any where
    else is the size of the neck. I love a fat neck. How big are the necks on the
    Edwards?

Thanks

2. AlexF

AlexF Member

I've owned lots and lots of LP's over many years, the Edwards along with some of the other Japanese classic makers (Orville by Gibson, Greco, Tokai and Burny) make playing guitars which are equal to your '57. Finishes on teh current Edwards are better than current Gibson, pups are Seymour, and all other electrics are up to the job. Playability wise, again they are way better than current Gibson straight out of the box. In terms of the sound, like every guitar maker, they are variable, you have to try a few or take a chance, I have owned an Edwards custom which just didnt do it sound wise, I now have a Standard which is one of the two best LP's I've ever owned. Necks wise, again they are variable, the Custom had a great big neck probably like your '57, the Standard is a little smaller - probably like a current Gibbo Standard - like you I love a big neck. Generally, the Japanese copies have smaller necks, so be sure to clarify that before you buy one. Having owned my current one, I dont think I would ever own a Historic or equivalent again for the reason you state. The Edwards is just so roadworthy and usable in comparison. Last week I left it proped up on a gig whilst I gave my Warmoth Tele a run. I watched as it slid and fell over on the floor as we were playing. I dont think I could have done that if it had been an Historic! One last point, I'm fairly (but not absolutely) sure the Edwards guitars are the same (maker and spec) as the current Tokai guitars, which may help your search.
    Al

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Edwards are made by ESP. Does ESP make MIJ Tokai stuff as well?

4. AlexF

AlexF Member

These guitars are branded Edwards, which is an ESP brand. The actual manufacturer is another thing altogether. It is commonplace in the history of Japanese guitars for one factory to make guitars under several brand names, sometimes with slightly differing specs, sometimes identical except for the name on the headstock.
    Al

5. CNP

CNP Member

FWIW, I've only owned a few Les Pauls and Les Paul clones, but my 2005 Gibson '58 Historic is in another league as compared to an Edwards Jimmy Page Relic LP I recently had. The Edwards was a fine guitar and a great deal at around $1K, but the Gibson is flawless (well, since I widened the nut slots a bit) and a monster player. No knocks against the Edwards or other Japanese LP clones, but I have to say that there are some GREAT new Gibson LP's out there....

6. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

Something to think about here, not that it matters that much, but the carve on the top of the Edwards models is very deep. Some love em, some hate em.....I have a Goldtop Edwards, HUGE neck (would love to trade it for a Edwards with a smaller neck ) The quality is top notch for a clone.

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I understand that, but I wish there was a way to find out which factories make guitars for which companies.

8. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

''

Which model is it? Huge like a 57 Goldtop RI?

9. karmadave

karmadave Member

The Japanese make some great guitars for the money. I've owned a Gibson R8, but now own both a Tokai LS-80S (R6 clone) and LS-150 (R9 clone). Except for the pickups, these guitars are every bit as good as my R8. I do prefer a medium-size neck vs. the bigger necks on the R6's and R8's, and spending $3,500-$4,500 on an R9 seemed a bit steep. As far as who makes Tokai, Edwards, Burny, etc, check out:

http://www.guitarsjapan.com/about.html

for info on Tokai as well as other Japanese brands. BTW, I am NOT anti-Gibson. They make fine guitars too. I own a '59 Historic ES-335 that I would never sell (after replacing the stock frets and upgrading the pickups ;-)

-KD