How are the Warmoth 24-3/4" conversion necks?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Disco Scottie, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Disco Scottie

Disco Scottie Member

I've been a PRS player for over 15 years. After spending time with my new Strat, I've come to realize the slightly shorter scale length of PRS is my true comfort zone. Planning on keeping the Strat as is (I like the neck anyway), but I'm now contemplating putting together a Parts-o-Caster with a Warmoth conversion neck to be PRStratty... maybe I should copyright that. :D

So who here has experienced one of these necks? Do they function as advertised, giving you the feel of 24-3/4" on a 25.5" guitar? Wondering also about tonal difference, if there is any. And how much would going with an angled headstock change things? I hate string trees.

And you know what would be awesome... a Warmoth Factory Store where you could try out all the different neck types, woods, finishes, etc. It's enough to drive you nutty trying to choose!

2. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Well, I can tell you that the conversion necks are only available with dual truss rods. This will take the strat tone right out of the guitar, even more than the change in scale length. Warmoth does make nice necks though.

3. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I reeplaced the neck on my strat with one of warmoths 24 3/4'' necks. I love how the guitar feels and for me, it's a lot easier to play. Because of the scale length difference, most of the strat tone is gone.

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Might make it more Les Paul like. I don't see there being anything wrong with that!

5. tone4days

tone4days Member

does tommy at usacg do shorty conversion necks with only 1 truss rod? give him a shout and see ...

t4d

6. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

They do - I've got one on the way. (To go on a 2 'bucker korina tele...)

7. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

definitely not going to get vintage sounds with a dual truss. i have plenty of experience trying to achieve good strat tone with a modern construction neck, its not possible.

8. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I think you will want a 25" scale neck if you are really used to a PRS. Tommy at USACG will make you a 25" neck with single truss rod, no problem.

9. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

There's nothing wrong with more lp like. The strat was much too bright for me anyway.

10. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

11. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

it certainly won't. not as tight in the bass. a little more in the mids. I've plays Trisonics short scale Chapin Houla. Very very cool, but as said above, it is not a strat.

12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

It may not be a strat...
    but with the right pickups quack & snap is possible with any neck size...

Carlton's Valley Arts Strats with the Gibson Scale length are some of the best Strat sounds ever (IMHO)

13. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I agree with you completely. I built a Shell Pink Strat with a Warmoth conversion neck and it quacked like a duck.

Duncan Antiquity's, K-T-S Titanium trem block and saddles...simply a great sounding Strat.

[​IMG]

14. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Wow.. that is just the coolest looking Strat..

Never heard of a Shell Pink finish before ...
    But that color reminds me of my childhood, where since I grew up only a few blocks from the beach.. I used to collect shells very much the same color ..
    Good Job Tim... great looking axe!!

15. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

every time a see a shell pink guitar, I tell myself, that's gonna be the color of my next build.

16. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

One of the "vintage" Fender colors. They only used it from 1960-1963. Pretty rare to find these days.

It's a Dupont color originally used on the 1956 DeSoto.

Here's some info: http://www.curtisnovak.com/restorations/FenderColors/ShellPink.shtml

-Tim

17. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

So the Strat tone is gone, what did you got in return?

18. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

the dual truss rod, I believe, pulls the tone away from the ideal Strat tone. I had an Anderson with a dual truss rod and could never get it to sound like a Strat (tried many pickups). Then, got a USA CG parts start, single truss rod, probelm solved..killer tone and feel!

19. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

+ whatever on USACG. Love all the options Warmoth has, but the dual-action rod has got to go.

20. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

I've put a few of those necks on humbucker-equipped guitars and I can't tell you about tone, but they are very comfortable to play. Bends are much easier. Staggered tuners can eliminate the need for a string tree.

The shell-pink/parchment combo is really sweet!