Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Direct into interface; use plugin amp sims

Votes: 108 37.4%
  • Kemper / Helix / HX Stomp

Votes: 71 24.6%

• Total voters

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Suhr PT15 so it's all built in with a load box and IR loader. straight into my Apollo Solo in stereo and then I can mess with it from there

Ja2854

Silver Supporting Member
Right now my compressed/driven signal into an Iridium into my modulation (mono) into a Lehle P-Split. One split goes into the interface and the other through my wet effects, into stereo, into the interface. So a pseudo wet/dry/wet mix. Happy with the results so far except I'll probably get another Lehle and a stereo to mono summing device so I can keep the stereo panning of some of my modulation effects while also shooting it into the DAW in mono.

biffoz

Direct tools are the Tech 21 Oxford, followed by Mooer Radar for IR's and cab sims, with the power amp module ON. So there's a little power amp beef as well. Pretty happy, despite the many new offerings out there.

My monitor is a Tech 21 FRFR Power Engine 60, which has quite pleasantly surprised me with it's clarity and output - i did a gig on bass with it and hadn't ever tried that and it not only sounded great, it could drown out everyone in rehearsal and onstage - truly a great bass rig, surprisingly.

Still not sure if I want to jump to something like the Iridium, or a modeler. Any other truly inspiring analog options out there?

MBPB1.jpeg

and this is an example of this mess in use . . .

Last edited:

GraceToo

HaKwvwJ.jpg

Super simple setup. Dry guitar signal gets recorded direct via my HX Stomp (with the Stomp used for wet monitoring), patch gets imported to Helix Native and further tweaked/refined within Cubase post-recording if necessary. I also sometimes re-amp and tweak my dry signal via my Stomp if I need to use an external pedal in my effects loop. I usually record bass direct with my interface, though will sometimes record with the Stomp as well.

Lonelyplayer

Yes. Friedmann Runt 20. Direct out to Focusrite Claret+ 8 Pre.
Then UA Ox Box spdif out to Focusrite input.
Great sound from Adam Audio AX-monitors. No longer need to mic the amp cabin.

speakerdad

Gold Supporting Member
Guitar - pedal board - Iridium - (stereo effect pedals) - interface - DAW

or...

Guitar - pedal board - Captor X - (stereo effect pedals) - interface - DAW

(only if I want to record or jam in stereo....otherwise out of the Iridium or Captor direct to the Interface)

Tweeker

Silver Supporting Member
I mix and match:
Palmer PDI-09
Baggs ParaDI
Littlelabs Redeye 3D
Tech21 Para Driver

pepislang

I use ML Sound Lab-AMPED guitar amp sim plugins during recording and if I need the DI recorded guitar for later reamping, just turn the plugin off. Here is a demo i shot of some amp sim plugins which I own. More info in the description below the video on my YT channel.
CLICK HERE
75896640-88EF-4BDA-BB6C-F30A08CB82B4.png

Last edited:

Lopp

Silver Supporting Member
Need to add Fractal and/or "other modeler" to the Kemper/Helix option. Otherwise, someone may vote "other" for using a modeler that is not Kemper/Helix.

I voted HX Stomp, but also voted "other" because I also use an AX8 into an audio interface on a different system.

biffoz

I mic my amp and run the signal into a Focusrite 2i2 into my Mac.

Ummm, that's mic'ing an amp, not going direct. Of course that's how people record amps, yeah, but it's not going direct. Ditch the amp - then you're going direct.

rob2966

My main ways of recording my guitars:

Electrics:
- Revv G20 direct out using built in Two Notes IRs for cab/mic/room sim
- Direct into interface using Neural DSP Petrucci and Soldano plugins in DAW
- sometimes direct from my HX Stomp (mostly for weirder FX sounds, or low-gain "classic" types of amps)

Acoustic: (I often record both of these simultaneously)
- condenser mic into tube pre (around neck/body joint)
- pickup into Avalon U5 (if the acoustic has a pickup)

Bass:
- direct into Avalon U5

I might look to put a DI into the chain (DI to interface direct, THRU to "amp") with my electric recordings so I can get a direct recording to allow for re-amping. Haven't done that yet.

AcidRig

I’m trying to create the ideal home tracking setup for electric guitars. What’s everyone using? Feel free to suggest something other than what you are not using too!
My guitar into DI box/splitter. One signal goes direct to my DAW and the other to my amp. There are 2 mics on my cab that are tracking into the DAW the same time as my DI from the pickups. This leaves me with 2 "first take" tracks with real mics, and one DI to use for amp sims OR reamping. Most of the time I end up polishing my DI from the first take and using it to reamp into my rig. This allows me to quickly record something with the amp in the room feel, but get every knob tweaked and the mic positions perfect later using the DI to reamp. Then I usually end up re-recording through the rig live with mics after ive tweaked the tone and mic placement and have been practicing the part a few days.

Depending on the sound I want, DSM Simplifier mostly for Marshalls and occasionally Fenders. Avid 11-Rack for other amp types and the SVT bass amp. Lead guitar is a hybrid approach with mics-on-cabs plus the DSM as a cab-sim only.

Gnik

Scuffham s-gear for amp sim.

But for 'Other' I use Kingsley Maiden tube pre-amp pedal in to power amp and cab sims (Ignite TPA-1 and Two Notes WOS).

TheGuy

For me it’s mostly amp(s) into a Suhr RL, then into a Helix hosting IRs with multiple loops for extra effects. All through studio monitors.

Lately though I’ve been using the Helix by itself a lot too. The amp modeling has improved enough that I’m really enjoying it.

russ6100

guitar ---> various pedals (optional) ---> Iridium (optional) ---> El Capistan (optional) ---> 1073 clone ---> 1176 clone with little to no gain reduction ---> interface

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
amp into Two Notes Captor reactive load box. Into Presonus usb interface , into Studio One where I load up York Audio IRs in NadIR or Wall of Sound. Sometimes I use Wall of Sound IRs as well. Never been happier with results.

MrTAteMyBalls

Sometimes direct into interface and use Thermionik or NDSP archetype Nolly. Sometimes dialing in a tone on the Helix and just going with the XLR direct out into an XLR in on my interface.

All of the above options sound great and are easy to manage.

Working with the Helix in this manner is kind of fun....it's a bit more old school since I can't change anything after the fact. I use the IR loader on the Helix,too. So it's just like getting a mic'd up amp tone in my DAW.

Nolly is also very nice sounding and dead simple to get a great clean, rock, or metal tone from. I have made about 20 presets and I usually start with those to see if I can get what I need with no knob turning.

Supposedly amp 4 in Nolly is a VH4. Interesting to me since I can't get anything I like out of it. It's floppy while a real VH4 hits like Thor's hammer.

That new Helix model Ventoux is frickin amazing. I am looking for an excuse to use it on a track.....I have to get it on tape!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom