1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How are you recording your FMR, RNC?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by regotheamigo, Jun 24, 2006.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I ask because I got one and will be putting it to good use once my RNP comes in. Do you use the compression for the master mix? Or just on a certain instrument like guitars, vocals etc? Also, I have a bunch of plug ins from Waves, Sound Forge and Sony and was wondering if I should not use those compressors with the RNC? I am new to all this stuff so sorry if this seems stupid to ask

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got a RNC and RNP and don't use the RNP much anymore, since I got a Great River mic-pre. I still use the RNC as a limiter more than compressor while recording. . .just to make sure I don't clip. Just a little bit, not to try to mess with the sound.

I use the compressors from Waves, the Rennaisance Maxx Compressors (plug-ins) after I record, during the final mix-down, for more punchiness on the bass, kick drum, etc.

3. dumeril7

dumeril7 Member

I use mine when recording vocals and bass. I'll run the preamp into the RNC prior to my A/D converters. Always light compression, no more than 4:1. For compressing the entire mix, I generally use SoundForge because I just find it a bit easier to do that sort of thing. On the couple times that I have run a mix thru the RNC, I've found it very helpful to patch an EQ into the side chain of the RNC so that I could control how much the low-end was triggering the RNC. Otherwise, I was getting too much pumping on hard kick drum hits and bass notes.

d7

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

That's pretty much my take on it, too. If you are using an all analog studio, you can use it on everything. But if you are recording digitally, use it sparingly on inputs (unless you want to commit to a specific compressed sound - the RNC can do nice Fairchildesque things to overheads, for example), and then use high quality plugin compression at that point, so you don't have to go through extra conversion stages to run back through the RNC.

If you have the Waves Renaissance Compressor, you're good to go.

5. covert

covert Member

Working with a console, digital only as medium, RNC in really nice mode across the two buss. There really isn't much I wouldn't use it on. I've heard what a couple of the better engineers can do with it, and I'm tryying to get as good. They had a great sound as parallel cmp on kick.